PDA

View Full Version : Aint it Funny how moulds can breed...

LtFrankDrebbin
05-16-2012, 08:45 AM
It all started with a CBE 257-80 mould for the 25-20 WCF Winnie 92. Well that led up to a RCBS 25-85 for the same caliber/ gun.
Then we get a Colt Diamondback in .38 special that made me buy a Lee 358-158 TL RN.
Now I,ve just ordered a Lyman 358-158 RN FN. Bit later on I will get the Lyman 358-146 WC.

If I see a 257420 I will pounce!

Will not mention that I have a 38 S&W plus a Ruger Old Army lined up to buy.
Who only knows what boolit moulds will turn up then.
Help me please! Is there a cure out there!:veryconfu

bruce drake
05-16-2012, 09:17 AM
THere is no known cure. You just need to moderate your purchases and whenever there is a flare up, limit the purchase to one at a time so the wife doesn't exile you to the couch and you should be able to survive.

Just remember this line...

"Welcome to the addiction support group. My name is Frank".

"HI FRANK!"

Bruce

soldierbilly1
05-16-2012, 10:43 AM
well, unfortunately, this is true.
I looked over my bench the other day and I had about 12 molds, I was only using about 4 of them heavily.
I sell the un-needed ones off on Ebay. I have had good luck and I manage to get back about 40 - 50% of my hard earned do re mi back. I get to make someone else happy as well.
In the future, I will prolly sell on this forum first however.
bill boy
Obama must go!

runfiverun
05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
you somehow end up with odds and ends doing this stuff.
i have more molds than guns in a couple of calibers,and a sizing die or two for sizers that i don't own.

Harter66
05-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Cure?:)

Pretty soon you'll be snagging up a mould for that test load because it was cheap. Then you'll want a special custom mould.

rexherring
05-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Last year I started out with my old trusty three molds I've been using for years. Then I was lurking here and now I'm up to 12 molds and looking for more. I've even bought molds for my friends reloads that I don't even shoot.

bruce drake
05-16-2012, 01:36 PM
I've got molds for calibers I intend to have one day on top of the ones I normally shoot!

bld451
05-16-2012, 02:24 PM
I wish someone would have told me about this before I started. I would have saved some more dough. It gets worse, too. I finally bought a Mihec HP 4 banger, and now I'm into enough group buys (yes, including one for a gun I intend to buy) that if they all hit at once, I will have to sell a kidney or something!

Alan in Vermont
05-16-2012, 03:55 PM
I figured some of them did, indeed, reproduce. I even had one I accused of it, "That FORNICATING mold!"

Stick_man
05-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Aint it Funny how moulds can breed...

Aint nuttin funny 'bout it. Be careful, they'll breed like rabbits. Before ya know it, you'll have a whole gaggle of 'em.

JeffinNZ
05-16-2012, 06:22 PM
There are worst things to collect than moulds. At least they are useful. Teaspoon collectors however.........

blikseme300
05-16-2012, 09:31 PM
I agree with the sentiment that you can never have too many molds.

I recently started buying H&G molds even though my Lee's are serving the purpose quite well. Pricy to get good ones but I am very impressed with the quality. Did I need them - no. Do I want them -YES!

At the rate I have been buying stuff I don't really need I might be saving on my reloading in a few centuries. I don't care, life is too short to not have fun. I can't take my money with me someday as it will melt anyway.[smilie=1:

Bliksem

alfloyd
05-17-2012, 12:40 AM
I found that I have 2 or 3 molds of the same ones. I can't remember ever buying more than one. :)

But then, I look at it like this:
He who dies with the most toys (molds) wins.
And I plan to win this game. :)

Keep up the collecting.

Lafaun

olafhardt
05-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Whenever I start with a new caliber I find my self going through the following process:
1) Check ammo prices ,swear, order dies.
2) Check component prices- order brass ,swear at bullet prices.
3) Order Lee molds.
It is so cheap to order up Lee stuff and it is easy too that I can`t see why not.If I want to try another load I just order another mold. I find this a natural flowing process, beautiful in its own way.

cf_coder
05-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Same with me Olaf! I dread adding in a new caliber to the stable due to what it entails. I hate buying factory ammo. I mean, I started reloading to get away from a dependance on factory stuff and started casting when the price for projectiles started getting out of hand... So it's the same process, need to buy dies, brass, factory j-word bullets, powder(s) if what I have on hand isn't optimumn, molds, gas checks, sizing dies etc... I'm at the point now where a new caliber will cost me, at a minimum, $200-300 extra just to get started... But I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

Blammer
05-17-2012, 03:40 PM
I left two moulds in an ammo can, and there must have been some Viaaagraaa in there too...

Next time I looked there were 12 more...

rexherring
05-17-2012, 06:26 PM
I left two moulds in an ammo can, and there must have been some Viaaagraaa in there too...

Next time I looked there were 12 more...

Does that Viaaagraaa make the boolits alloy stiffer???????:lol:

Blammer
05-17-2012, 08:39 PM
yea but for only 4 hours of the day

HighHook
05-18-2012, 04:00 AM
Good one Bruce Drake...

"Welcome to the addiction support group. My name is Paul".

"HI Paul!"

It works like this, If your having a bad day!!! Treat your self to a new mold.

Littlewolf
05-18-2012, 01:25 PM
hi my name is wolf
i have 3-.440 rb one (coughs) lee and 2 lyman one a single cav the other a 2 cav
1-54 cal maxi ball
1-12gua slug
1-36 cal maxi
1-36 rb
1-.490 rb
1-#225450
(scratches head i think there are a couple more in the box maybe)
next up is a .451 for my long colt SA wheel gun, if i start casting for the 303 or 243 me thinks it will be swagging j-words

"welcome to lead pourer's annonymous, my name is Wolf"
"HI Wolf"

gwpercle
05-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Hi my name is Gary and I'm an addict. Thank God I found this support group.
It all started in 1967 with a single cavity Lyman #358156 for a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 mag. but that was all it took , my dessent into the addiction was fueled by my best friends father....He owned a tire repair shop and let us have UNLIMITED USED WHEELWEIGHTS my God the man let us have all we could carry off for free!!!
And after we turned those grungy, dirty , useless odds and ends into beautiful, shiney, boolits that we could shoot out of our Blackhawks for next to nothing I WAS HOOKED ! And that led to wadcutter moulds , semi-wadcutter, heavier ,lighter, then 45 cal and rifle boolit moulds, then double cavity... O Lord does it ever end .
But the WORST part was when I found e-bay , That was when I hit rock bottom...
I found how to use my wifes account and bought moulds with giddy abandon...discontinued moulds, moulds I never knew existed...then the bills started coming in and I had to finally admit to my wife I HAD A MOULD MONKEY ON MY BACK. And what is really cool is she understands..she say's " at least you aren't out drinking, gambling and chasing women ". When you find a girl like this marry her.
But I am weaning off , it's been 3 1/2 weeks since I bought a mould.

gary,
me and the mould monkey are getting the itch to go see e-bay

gefiltephish
05-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Wow! You are one sick group of puppies!

Now me, I have it all under control. Unlike you losers, I can handle it...no really I can...seriously. See I only buy moulds that I absolutely need, in fact I can count 'em on one hand. Let's see, one...six...eight...ten...hmmm, ok two hands. Well, at least I know all I'll ever need is just one more mould and I'll be set for life...see how easy it is?! Control fellas, a little self control, there's nothin' to it. Muussst...haaaave...controoooool...<cough cough>...AAARRRRGGG!!!!!

Although I have been thinking about getting a mould for 308 and 30-06. I don't have those rifles yet, but someday I'm sure I will. I just know it. See I'm not at all like you clowns who just buy moulds willy-nilly at the drop of a hat, just because it's there. Nope. Not me.

rintinglen
05-20-2012, 09:23 AM
It's not enough unless you have ALL!!!

HighHook
05-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Wow! You are one sick group of puppies!

Now me, I have it all under control. Unlike you losers, I can handle it...no really I can...seriously. See I only buy moulds that I absolutely need, in fact I can count 'em on one hand. Let's see, one...six...eight...ten...hmmm, ok two hands. Well, at least I know all I'll ever need is just one more mould and I'll be set for life...see how easy it is?! Control fellas, a little self control, there's nothin' to it. Muussst...haaaave...controoooool...<cough cough>...AAARRRRGGG!!!!!

Although I have been thinking about getting a mould for 308 and 30-06. I don't have those rifles yet, but someday I'm sure I will. I just know it. See I'm not at all like you clowns who just buy moulds willy-nilly at the drop of a hat, just because it's there. Nope. Not me.

:not listening:[smilie=l:[smilie=l:[smilie=l:[smilie=l:[smilie=l::goodpost::happy dance: