PDA

View Full Version : Place to shoot around Wichita

richhodg66
05-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Anyone know of a good one? Looking at new jobs for August timeframe and this is one possiblity for relocation and whether there's a good place to shoot or not is definitely a factor.

7br
05-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Iffn you are talking about Wichita KS, there is Lake Afton public range. Open on the second full weekend of the month and the Saturday two weeks later. Air Capitol Gun Club hosts a variety of matches. I will be out there Sunday for the silhouette match (www.aircapgunclub.org/). BulletStop and Bullseye both have indoor ranges. There is a 500 yard range up around Hutchinson, but I think it is members only. On the north side of Lake Cheney, there is a public range range by KS Dept of Wildlife and Parks.

That is all I can think of off of the top of my head. Drop me a message if you need more info.

richhodg66
05-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Yes, Wichita, Kansas. Looking at a job offer there as well as Omaha and one in Topeka for after the Army. Topeka and Omaha I know have good club ranges, I didn't know about Wichita.

Is theer a club associated with that Hutchinson range?

7br
05-17-2012, 01:51 PM
There is. Here is their website. I have never shot on their range. http://www.ckgc.org/

Personally, I like the country side around topeka better than Wichita. You are also just a hop, skip and jump from Kansas City if you like that kind of stuff. Wichita does have a Gander Mountain and a Cabela's. Not sure what your hunting opportunities around there Topeka would be, but I think you should find quite a bit of fishing. Topeka does have a bit of a reputation of being kind of rough.

Just my opinions and your mileage will vary.

richhodg66
05-17-2012, 10:23 PM
I've done most of teh past 18 years on Fort Riley and love it here, and I agree, Topeka would be my preferred place if for no other reason than it's commuting distance while the others are not. Omaha and Wichita are both decent places to live, in fact, I was very impressed with everything about Omaha, but a move across state lines presents some practical disadvantages that I think will make me turn it down if I can get one of the others.

It's looking like Topeka will win out, but it's good to know about the Hutchinson club, one never knows where they may end up eventually.