PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for Ed's Red

hiram
05-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Can diesel be used as a substitute for kerosene in Ed's Red?

troyboy
05-15-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't see why not. You cut diesel with kerosene when it gets real cold. Still why not just use the formula as is?

hiram
05-15-2012, 08:17 PM
I have no use for kerosene or diesel. The smallest amount of kereosene I can get is 2 gal. I can go into a gas station and get a quart of diesel.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-15-2012, 08:50 PM
you can get lamp oil by the pint or quart , low odor kerosine, same thing

just a not what they call paraffin oil for oil lamps it may work but doesn't burn or travel up a wick well

diesel will work but it will smell even more

FrankG
05-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Most stores like wally world have lamp oil .

hiram
05-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Ok--- lamp oil is worth checking out. Thanks.

alamogunr
05-16-2012, 12:07 AM
I've been told that kerosene from the pump at the service station may have moisture in it. If so, it can cause rust. This was from one of many articles about Ed's Red.

I've gone to using a similar concoction called Steve's Squeeze developed by Steve Hurst, a cast boolet shooter. I've lost my link to the original article but here is a link to a thread. See post #55.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=75957&page=3

The advantage for me is using LLA as the rust preventive instead of lanolin. Most of us have a bottle of LLA sitting around.

geargnasher
05-16-2012, 12:14 AM
I wouldn't sub diesel fuel myself as long as I could get deoderized K1 kerosene in steel gallon cans at Ace Hardware (Ace brand). I've been a diesel mechanic for many years and absolutely detest the smell of it, and it has the sort of odor that survives laundering, far worse than ATF.

Gear

giz189
05-16-2012, 12:31 AM
I wouldn't sub diesel fuel myself as long as I could get deoderized K1 kerosene in steel gallon cans at Ace Hardware (Ace brand). I've been a diesel mechanic for many years and absolutely detest the smell of it, and it has the sort of odor that survives laundering, far worse than ATF.

Gear AMEN!! Gnasher. That and 90 wt gear oil.

Dale53
05-16-2012, 01:36 AM
So called K-1 Kerosene from a service station pump can also have acids in it. The gallon cans of K-1 are certified and the "real deal" (no nasty surprises).

I am a believer in Ed's Red. I substitute nothing. Ed ran his "Ed's Red" by an organic chemist so that there would be NO surprises.

Dale53

GabbyM
05-16-2012, 03:15 AM
Many additives in D2 are toxic and or poisonous.
Back when I hauled fuel I never pulled D2. Just ADM fuel alcohol and sub octane gas.
The fuel alcohol contained around eighty additives on any given day. Things like fuel injector lube. They would kill you dead if you drank a shot glass full of the hooch. Thus they blended 5% sub octane gas into the alcohol to make it smell to high gaseousness.
Thus avoiding any temptation to drink the corn liquor. Or make gun cleaner with it.

Thus the issue with D2 is you never know what additives they have placed into it and you have absolutely no way to find out. Since it’s not a product made for consumption or contact with skin. Generally speaking you do not want to allow the nasty stuff to contact your skin. You can buy one gallon of odorless K1 at Wal-Mart for ten dollars. Comes in it’s own jug. What is your health worth?
I’ll assure you that diesel fuel or gasoline will mess you up if you wash yourself with it enough.

41 mag fan
05-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Many additives in D2 are toxic and or poisonous.
Back when I hauled fuel I never pulled D2. Just ADM fuel alcohol and sub octane gas.
The fuel alcohol contained around eighty additives on any given day. Things like fuel injector lube. They would kill you dead if you drank a shot glass full of the hooch. Thus they blended 5% sub octane gas into the alcohol to make it smell to high gaseousness.
Thus avoiding any temptation to drink the corn liquor. Or make gun cleaner with it.

Thus the issue with D2 is you never know what additives they have placed into it and you have absolutely no way to find out. Since it’s not a product made for consumption or contact with skin. Generally speaking you do not want to allow the nasty stuff to contact your skin. You can buy one gallon of odorless K1 at Wal-Mart for ten dollars. Comes in it’s own jug. What is your health worth?
I’ll assure you that diesel fuel or gasoline will mess you up if you wash yourself with it enough.

Anything manmade will mess you up. Might take years to show up and years for someone to figure out, it's harmful to you.

tudor8055
05-16-2012, 09:30 AM
I am with Gear on this. I have been a diesel mechanic since 1976 and have seen the fuel go through many changes. Diesel holds a lot of moisture in suspension, that is why the fuel water seperators. Diesel has gone through a major re formulation in the last two years and certain engine manufacturers claim it now holds about four times the moisture in suspension as before. I have seen this first hand in my shop as we are replacing more fuel tanks that are rusting from the inside than ever before. The fuel is also loading the seperators with water faster and causing more cases of live growth in the fuel systems.
Mark

firefly1957
05-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Any of you use turpentine it was one of the original ingredients.