PDA

View Full Version : Lead is where you find it

fatelk
05-15-2012, 12:27 AM
We went camping last weekend; a rare occurrence since we're not campers. The kids played in the river and had fun catching salamanders. The water was cold but not deep. I waded out in the river and picked up a pocketful of fishing weights off the bottom.

It won't make very many boolits, but I did my duty as an environmentalist by removing this toxic substance from the environment.:)
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm274/fatelk/lead.jpg

evan price
05-15-2012, 03:59 AM
In the parking lot of my big local gunstore and sports shop was a big 1-oz bank sinker attached to a stainless steel leader and a treble hook. For the good of society and to spare anyone the trauma of a flat tire I of course picked that up and took it home for safe (and high temp) disposal.

zuke
05-15-2012, 07:34 AM
God luv you guy's, thinking of those poor ,poor soul's and the enviroment..............

WILCO
05-15-2012, 09:00 AM
I noticed a co-worker had some type of large WW that seemed to span half the diameter of his mini-van rim, so I started over to maybe grab it. Snapped out of it when all the drooling made me bite my tongue.......

dbarnhart
05-15-2012, 09:08 AM
So far I have resisted removing wheel weights from cars in the Wal-Mart parking lot. ;-)

odfairfaxsub
05-15-2012, 09:33 AM
youd be suprised in what you find on the roads at stop lights

WILCO
05-15-2012, 09:34 AM
So far I have resisted removing wheel weights from cars in the Wal-Mart parking lot. ;-)

Wheel shakes and shimmies are common amongst the "Section 8" shoppers of Walmart. I don't think they would notice if you grabbed a few.

mold maker
05-15-2012, 11:35 AM
My Son and I used to bike I-40 for 80 miles (round trip) to a flea market. At each exit we would dismount and walk the exit ramp. By the end of our ride we always had 8-20 lbs of WWs.
I recently had ocassion to stop at an exit ramp, that used to provide exceptionally well.
Either someone had already gleaned the goodies or tires just hold their weights better. I didn't find a single weight.

leadbutt
05-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Wheel shakes and shimmies are common amongst the "Section 8" shoppers of Walmart. I don't think they would notice if you grabbed a few.

OMG!! No he didnt!!:groner: ROFL!!

L. Bottoms

beagle
05-15-2012, 09:25 PM
#1 son use to drive an 18 wheeler. He'd bring it in empty on Saturday night and park in a fenced lot. While he was doing his logbook, I'd releive the trailer of all it's weights. Profitable.

If you have access to a dam where there's a lot of fishing, when the gates are closed, the area below the dam is a real lead bonanza./beagle

RKJ
05-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I had to stop my motorcycle one day at a little turnoff (to put on a jacket) I happened to look down before I re-mounted and found a nice size WW. I did my civic duty as you guys have. I almost jumped out of my wife's car at a red light one day but good sense (and love of life & limb) stopped me. :)

Ronbo256
05-16-2012, 10:41 PM
I removed a 6 oz WW from an intersection the other day, I caused a minor traffic jam since I stalled my engine pulling to a stop so fast and didn't push in the clutch soon enough! Luckily it was in my little subdivision not the main road.

fatelk
05-16-2012, 11:33 PM
I once saw a wheel weight in an intersection I passed frequently, right next to where the first car would stop for a red light. One day I happened to be the first car at that red light so I pulled close to the edge, opened my door and grabbed it. Dang! STEEL!

Isn't it funny how some of us go nuts over finding something worth maybe a nickel?

Oreo
05-17-2012, 01:09 AM
I gathered almost 30lbs once walking around the parking lot while waiting for new tires to be installed. Just outside the bay doors, and back by the dumpster were especially fruitful areas.

RKJ
05-17-2012, 05:23 AM
The odd thing for me is I've got about 1000 lbs between bullets and ingots and don't shoot all that much right now. What I've got will (most likely) last me my life (and then some) but I have this hoarder mentality in that I always think I need more lead (and brass, same thing there) :) I spend more time scrounging at the range than I do actual shooting. :)

Lead Fred
05-17-2012, 05:43 AM
"Yes officer those are wheel weight pliers in the glove box"

Note to self, dont keep the car papers in the glove box.

troy_mclure
05-17-2012, 06:18 AM
I keep an electronic postal scale in my truck just for weighing pewter stuff From flea markets and yard sales. I got pulled over and the cop was very interested in it as it was sitting in my back seat, with a bag of pewter. Lol