PDA

View Full Version : Casting eqiped

waynem34
05-14-2012, 10:47 PM
I am at a stand still.I'm missing one key component.I need a pot.Looking so hard I over looked it.Staying away from china cast?Stainless maybe?

swamp
05-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Is the pot for casting or smelting? I have both cast iron and stainless pots that I use for smelting. It depends on how much I need to melt. Both seem to work fine.
swamp

geddylee10002000
05-15-2012, 02:12 AM
I use a home made pot that I made out of 6" pipe for casting. It's good for about 20 - 25 lbs. For smelting I use a cast iron frying pan. Thinking of going to a smaller dutch oven for both.

waynem34
05-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Its for smelting.Just gettin into the casting part of shooting.I have no boolit molds just lead and a few tools.and enough knowlege to bury me lolI will cast a boolit.Come hell or high water i will.

shadowcaster
05-15-2012, 06:15 PM
There are many good pots out there made of both stainless and cast iron for cheap, you just have to do some browsing at good will and 2nd hand stores. Or, you could also build a pot out of plate steel, and a rim or piece of pipe for not much money and a little weld time. Do a search for.. "smelting pot" and there are lots of good pics to look at to give you a better idea. I have a tendency to customize my equipment to fit my needs, so I built one.

Shad

waynem34
05-16-2012, 06:22 PM
thanks for th info guys.Im gone have acouple to try so ill figure i\out what works for me/I hope i survive without scars or with if must be

paul h
05-17-2012, 12:58 PM
I picked up a stainless pot from a thrift store for a couple bucks years ago. I'm sure I've turned at least 1000#'s of ww's into ingots from that pot. The handle was broken, which is fine because it wouldn't take the weight anyhow. I clamp a visegrip on the side of the pot to pour the melt into ingot molds.

MGySgt
05-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Do you have a Southern States, Agri, or Tractor Supply?

They normally have SS pots of varing size there real cheap. I bought a set about 6 years ago from the Agri south of Richmond that had small to med to large pots. Any would work depending on your heat source.

Just remember - stay away from aluminum!

afish4570
05-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Take an old 20# propane bottle. Instructions on internet on how to cut without a safety problem. Cut "in half" in about 15 min. or less with a .60 Harbor Freight cut off wheel in my $10 on sale mini grinder. Will hold over 150# when filled to 3" of top.afish4570:cbpour::cbpour:

floydboy
05-22-2012, 03:35 PM
+1 on the propane bottle. Crack the valve and turn it upside down for a day or two. Fill it with water and let it drain another day or two. Let it sit in the sun so it'll get hot with the valve open. You'll get almost all the vapors out. Don't want any surprises when you cut it. I cut mine about a inch above the half way mark. You can seriously melt some lead in one of these....

MGySgt
05-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Where are you at in Va. I can probably come up with a pot you can use.

waynem34
05-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the reply.I got a propane pot from Crockett.I was going to try and cut one myself but didnt.I picked up another ingot mould with it.I think I have everything I need for my first smelt.Next on my list will be a 230gn 45acp boolit mould, electric pot,boolit sizing stuff and i guess that do.Thanks for the help I'll need more when I buy this stuff.Seeya later Wayne

Lead Fred
05-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Ive found everything I use in thrift stores, and yard sales, and gun show.
Only thing I have thats new, are the molds.

Any Cal.
05-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Ive found everything I use in thrift stores, and yard sales, and gun show.
Only thing I have thats new, are the molds.

Same here... my casting set-up looks like a bum's kitchen... My current smelting pot is a large stainless bowl a renter had been using for a dog dish before they moved out.