PDA

View Full Version : CTL-312-160 meplat trimming

GBCAPT
05-14-2012, 09:58 PM
I have only recently begun casting lee CTL-312-160 s for my CZ527 7.62X39.

Currently water quenching, adding aluminum gas checks, and tumble lubing with ALOX before loading as-cast over Red Dot & 800X for fun shooting in the local sand pit.

However. looking ahead to the next hunting season, I am considering going to full power loads after heat treating the same bullets.

I also would like to modify the boolits to a more flat pointed configuration if possible.

Anyone have any recommendation about an economical way to trim the meplat large enough to work well as a hunting bullet?

rintinglen
05-14-2012, 10:08 PM
A method I Have used is to use a top punch for an FN to squash the nose of my spirepoint while sizing them. You have to fiddle with them to assure proper alignment, and it may not flatten them enough for hunting purposes, but it is worth a try.

DrCaveman
05-15-2012, 03:08 AM
Hey gpcapt,

Finally found someone else loading and casting this boolit for this gun. My only load so far, sadly, has been 4227 behind non-gas checked air cooled wheel weights. Double alox lubing, they shot really well with no leading.

I have just gas checked a few and may get to try them this weekend. Sorry I can't add anything regarding the me plat adjustment, but I have certainly squashed a few of the noses when I tap the gas checks into place.

I would imagine setting the boolit base down or base up, and giving a few soft taps with a small steel hammer would accomplish the goal.

Wayne Smith
05-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Look up BruceB's sticky on casting soft point boolits. You may not have to mangle your boolit, just make the first third in soft lead. The cast equivalent of a Partition!