PDA

View Full Version : Did I get a good one?

makicjf
05-14-2012, 09:53 AM
I took three rifles to the range yesterday- a 336 30/30, a Rossi 92 45 colt wuith a 24" octagon bbl and a Yugo Ak. The 30/30 was spitting out lee 309-170 gc ww sized .311, water dropped alox lubed over 30 imr 3031, normal plus a titch more lee factory crimp- 3 three shot groups iron sights 100 yards all ran bewteen 2 1/2 and three inches 1 inch high. I was pretty happy with that. No lead.
The rossi was chunking 255 rnfp (actual 262) unsized (.454-.455) water dropped over 24 h110. one hundred yards, iron sights three groups of three smack on target sub 3 inch groups. for me, I thought that was pretty good. Again, clean bbl.
I expected the ak to be erratic ( never owned one but read they are marginal at best for accuracy) on the 200 yard setting shooting cheap tulamma 7.62x39 123 grain fmjs I had three groups of three under three inches about 1 inch high at 100 yards . Again iron sights. It was as accurate as the 30/30. I then ran off 21 more, not hell fire fast, but as quickly as I could regain a flash sight picture: all 21 peppered the six inch circle. Is that normal? If so, I don"t think the ak deserves the "inaccurate" moniker. If it can knock out sub 3 inch groups with cheap ammo and iron sights with a marginal rifle shooter it should be more than accurate enough for its intended purpose. Did I just get lucky with this weapon?
Thanks,
Jason

x101airborne
05-14-2012, 11:17 AM
I think you just got lucky with finding that weapon.
I have had, shot and traded / sold tens of AK's and their variants and can tell you that they are usually not that good. With the right ammo and a steady rest, very possible to probable. Just cheap ammo and blasting out sub 3 inch groups I would say is rare.

makicjf
05-14-2012, 11:25 AM
The rest was ok, but a sand bag would have been better. It was simply a rough bench and the ak resting on a 6x6. I'm glad to know i got lucky. I really like the little rugged rifle; its also nice to know I , within range, may actually hit what I'm aiming at. I am pretty inexperienced with rifle shooting. I grew up in Ohio hunting with shotguns and rifled slugs, so a better rifle shooter could do better than me and my self taught ways.
I'll keep the ak though. Shoots better than expected with cheap ammo? there is all of my luck for this year. maybe i should have bought a lotto ticket instead. Then I could have bought an m1a and afforded to stock pile the ammo. ( I bought the ak because i can stockpile 7.62x39 at a quarter the cost of 7.62x51 nato).
Oh well.
Thanks,
jason

Harter66
05-15-2012, 10:36 AM
I've an s k s w/"good" factory ammo ,I bought it for the brass,it shot all over . A ft at 50 yrd if you only counted the best 5 of 10. W/ proper fitted boolits it came down to 2" 50yd gp . W/paper patched full tilt loads I've closed it to gp an inch wide and 3" tall . Its pretty amazing how much things will improve when you fill up the grooves w/bullet. Mine has a bbl thats 305/316 w/a throat that will take 320. The chamber is gapping too more like 8xx39. Its more fun to shoot now that its tuned in.

Id say you scored a pretty good 1.

Love Life
05-16-2012, 12:41 AM
You got a good one. I have never expected more from the AK at 200 yards than hitting the human shaped/sized target. Definately not a 3 inch at 200 yards gun for me, but it is a sub "chest" gun out to 300.

Ola
05-16-2012, 02:45 AM
I have never expected more from the AK at 200 yards than hitting the human shaped/sized target You probably mean the AK's from China and eastern Europe. Because there are some very accurate AK-based rifles. F.e. the RK62 and later RK-models are quite different. With quality ammo only a really good shooter can outshoot one of those. Also the Galil is propably quite accurate. And then there is the SIG SG 550...