PDA

View Full Version : Looking for gas check bullet molds in 380, 9mm, 38 sp, 357, 44 mag and 45 acp.

Wilsknife
05-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Looking for gas check bullet molds in 380, 9mm, 38 sp, 357, 44 mag and 45 acp. Thank you in advance for your sources and comments.

:cbpour:

:castmine:

:bigsmyl2:

MtGun44
05-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Interesting. Why do you want GC designs? Not likely to find them for .45 ACP or
.380. 9mm will be scarce, same for .38 Spl - although designs for .357 mag will
work. There are a number of designs with GCs available for .357 Mag and .44 mag.

None of these cartridges require GCs, I have stopped using GC designs, get great
results with all these cartridges with proper plain base designs. IMO, GCs are really
only needed for rifle cartridges.

Bill

turbo1889
05-14-2012, 01:56 AM
I have only had one 380-ACP that actually needed a gas checked boolit design, it was an odd-ball gun that had a 0.360" groove diameter but a chamber that was tight enough that the largest diameter boolit you could fit in the case and get it to chamber was 0.358" and as a result almost any load I tried with a cast lead boolit would lead the bore and shoot larger groups then jacketed loads. I used a 9mm gas checked design in it which was a little heavy at 115 grains but it cured the leading and accuracy problems and made the gun shoot good with cast for a target load using that boolit.

I have never had a 38-spl. or 45-ACP that needed a gas checked boolit.

I have had some heavy loads in 357-mag. and 44-mag. that a gas check seemed to help with. Yes, it would be possible to build loads that packed just as much punch by using a different powder and making some other adjustments so a plain base would work just fine but using a check made things simpler.

The 9mm is the one cartridge in your list where I have found a gas check boolit design to be very helpful and useful enough to make their regular use and the additional cost, labor, and time to install them worth while on a regular basis. Yes, it is most certainly possible to build 9mm loads with out gas check boolits but I have found it more then worth my while to use gas check boolits in the 9mm.

I started out using lighter weight RN and TC designs intended for 357-mag. that had a gas check shank. Then I had MM make me a gas check mold specifically for 9mm which has served me very well to this day.

geargnasher
05-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Accuratemolds dot com has quite a few odd gas check designs for cartridges normally not needing them, particularly .45 ACP.

Myself, I can't imagine why anyone would need gas checks for any of the common pistol calibers, although the 10mm might benefit somewhat from them. I shoot hot .38 Super, .40, .9mm, .44 Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, and .357 Magnum all with plain-based boolits in the 12-15 bhn range with no leading and no accuracy problems. To each their own I guess.

Gear

turbo1889
05-14-2012, 10:36 AM
I have been told that the 45-Win.-mag. can benefit from the use of a gas checked boolit. Maybe that is what the gas checked 45-ACP type designs are intended for. Or maybe someone is casting from 30:1 or some other pure plus a dash of tin alloy to get them to mushroom on impact and putting gas checks on them. A gas checked design for the 45-ACP is the one I have the hardest time understanding. At least with a 38-spl. the argument can be made for the same boolit to be used in a 357-mag. as well. Usually 45-cal revolver boolits are a little heavier and a little larger diameter and have a more "chunky" shape to them compared to 45-ACP boolits so it isn't like your average Joe is normally going to be buying the same mold to use in both the 45-ACP and a 454-Casull at least I think not but maybe I'm wrong.

As to the actually answering the OP's question. Mountain Molds(.com) and Accurate Molds(.com) are the two places where you will be able to pick up a gas check mold for all the ones on your list and just about anything else for that matter that someone makes a gas check to fit.

alfloyd
05-14-2012, 12:12 PM
"Looking for gas check bullet molds in 38 sp, 357"

I have a Lyman 358156 4 cavity mold that is extra, I have two.
It does not come with handles, but is in very good condition.
It does not have the original box.
It cast a gas checked slug at 155 grains + gas check.
I love it in my 38's and 357's.

You can have it for only $75.00 delivered to your mailbox.

Lafaun

coonhunter712
01-23-2018, 09:44 AM
"Looking for gas check bullet molds in 38 sp, 357"

I have a Lyman 358156 4 cavity mold that is extra, I have two.
It does not come with handles, but is in very good condition.
It does not have the original box.
It cast a gas checked slug at 155 grains + gas check.
I love it in my 38's and 357's.

You can have it for only $75.00 delivered to your mailbox.

LafaunDo u still have this mold for sale

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk