PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up some older loaded ammo.

45-70 Chevroner
05-13-2012, 10:22 PM
My neighbor across the street came into some ammo loaded by his brother. It is all 38 special rounds, a bunch of WC and as many SWC. What is the concensus on putting them in the vibrator tumbler and cleaning them up. Its not real dirty but just needs some general cleaning up. What do you think guys.

tubb_ooh_lard
05-13-2012, 10:29 PM
been there done that a few times .. never had any problems

Fishman
05-13-2012, 10:38 PM
It isn't recommended. The powder granules could fragment and any coatings on the granules could get knocked off, changing the burn rate of the powder. I have never done it and probably won't.

SlippShodd
05-13-2012, 10:51 PM
You CAN tumble loaded rounds with no ill effects, but only full jacketed stuff will come out unscathed... the media tends to erode exposed lead. Just use a rag to rub the gak off of them. Use a little denatured alcohol or household degreaser if the gak is stubborn. If that doesn't get 'em clean enough, shoot 'em anyway or pull them and then tumble the brass.

mike

thauge
05-14-2012, 12:40 AM
I don't know about using a vibratory tumbler, but I tumble loaded rounds in a rotary all the time. No round hitting the primer of another round will set it off. Primers need about 3k-5k PSI to fire depending on the brand. I usually do this for my copper plated rounds to make them shine. I've heard of people that polish lead boolits for a brief time just to clean them up a bit and remove excess lube. Also, I can't speak for a vibratory tumbler, but rotary shouldn't effect break down the powder. All the big ammo manufacturers polish their rounds in huge progressive rotary tumblers with no media (the rounds are the media) prior to boxing.

bobthenailer
05-14-2012, 07:25 AM
I Also have tumbled loaded rounds in corn cob media in my lorenton tumblers with no problems !its alot gentler than vibtrating them .

ku4hx
05-14-2012, 07:35 AM
From conservations I've had with a couple of powder manufactures, tumbling loaded rounds is no big deal. Considering the powder is moved in the manufacturing processes, moved about in a storage facility, jostled in shipment, bumped as it's taken too from shelves or what have you, a few minutes in a vibrator or true tumbler was not a concern.

WaywardSon
05-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Not going to hurt anything by doing so. I've used my RCBS vibratory unit to clean up loaded ammo a few times. You also might not do any good depending on what you want to get off the ammo. If the "dirt" is lube on a cast bullet, you may make matters worse. Depends on the lube and the media. The lube can attract and hold dust from the media & they will then need a solvent wipe. AMHIK....

gray wolf
05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
So this is third party reloaded ammo ?
I would clean it up real well with my bullet puller.

45-70 Chevroner
05-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys, I think I will tell the neighbor to clean them up with a little denatured alcohol. As (gray wolf) said this is third party reloaded ammo and I don't think I want to be responsiable for it. It may be more work for him but less worry for me.

Huntducks
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Anyone who thinks the powder will brake down is :???: nothing could have been harder on ammo then the roads or should I say camel trails of Iraq and Afghanistan

A 50 mounted on top of a humvee with ammo bouncing don't get much tuffer then that.

I Vib. clean loaded ammo all the time.

WORD TO THE WISE DON'T DO HP's UNLESS YOU WANT CORN OR WALNUT STUCK IN THE HP.

bumpo628
05-14-2012, 03:45 PM
So this is third party reloaded ammo ?
I would clean it up real well with my bullet puller.

+1 to what Gray Wolf said.

fatelk
05-14-2012, 07:51 PM
I've tumbled a lot of loaded ammo over the years, with no problems.

That said, I have to add another +1 to Gray Wolf's comment.