PDA

View Full Version : Star Die leaves grooves? Help!

jrayborn
05-13-2012, 05:02 PM
So this afternoon I am working to size some boolits I cast from my new NOE 3658-360 WFN mold and I have my depth set just right but I keep getting lines down the length of the boolit from the holes that the die allows lube to get squeezed into the groove.

It will actually shave lead from the side of the boolit 5 places down the length of it. I have cleaned and lubed and just about tried everything I can to get it to stop. Anyone have the magic fix?

This is a used "STAR"die that I got somewhere but its just not working at all like this. I have had dies in the past that would put a line down the side when I plugged a lube hole a bit too deeply with some shot, but cleaning the hole out and working a few boolits always fixed the issue.

I need help!

ku4hx
05-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Has this just started after using the die before? If so, I'd suspect a bit of grit or something that is scoring the boolit. If this is a new, unused die, maybe a burr on the edge of the lube hole is scoring the boolit. But it sounds like something is scoring the boolit as it passes.

Rockchucker
05-13-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm sure others will chime in here with more experience than me, and with that said, I'd probably take a brass brush and clean the inside some more, sounds like their is is still a burr inside the sizer. Can you see the burr after you clean it?

jrayborn
05-13-2012, 05:16 PM
It is not the first time it was ever used, just the first time I have used it. I am absolutely certain the die is clean. I have cleaned, recleaned and re-recleaned... the last time with a butane torch and lots of brushing... still leaves 5 perfectly spaced lines about .0005 deep down the sides...maddening!

crabo
05-13-2012, 05:49 PM
put a piece of fine sandpaper on a split rod and give it a few whirls to see if it improves. Do too much and you will make the die larger.

wv109323
05-13-2012, 08:20 PM
I had the same thing happening on a .358 Star die. The problem was lead protruding out of some of the lube holes in the side of the die. I used fine sandpaper to remove.

KYCaster
05-14-2012, 12:12 AM
I've had that happen with two different new Star dies from the original San Diego company....one .359 and one .401.

I cured the problem with a small diameter diamond bob in a Dremel tool. Reach inside the die and remove the burs from the lube holes.

With the die clamped solidly in a vise and a good steady hand you can get the job done with a minimum of "OOPS", but don't worry too much, the dies are HARD and will stand a bit of sloppy work before you do any real damage.....and any damage you may do will not be as bad as the scratches you're getting now.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Jerry

fredj338
05-14-2012, 02:29 AM
Small wooden dowel & fine sand paper will fix that quickly w/o enlarging the die. It is the lube holes, done it several times on diff die on my Star.

runfiverun
05-14-2012, 02:45 AM
I had the same thing happening on a .358 Star die. The problem was lead protruding out of some of the lube holes in the side of the die. I used fine sandpaper to remove.

yep,the shot will do that.
use 7-1/2 or 8.

EDK
05-15-2012, 09:27 PM

I had a 45 ACP sizer die with this ailment also. The piece of shot was semi-loose; it would get pushed in by lube pressure. I re-did plugging the die holes and also polished the bore of the die.

The STAR seems to be a constant learning process and a tinkers dream. It can be exasperating at times, BUT once you get it set up and running correctly you can run a lot of boolits through it in a short time. It is a d*** poor day you don't learn something new on this forum.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley: