PDA

View Full Version : Hello CB, I'd like you to meet Tom

Hamish
05-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Yesterday, because of a baby shower, a good friend came up from Paducah with his wife. I've been trying to get them up for awhile, but they're quite the homebodies.

I'd like to introduce you to Tom. He's 92, in very good health except for knee problems, and one of the most remarkable individuals I've ever met. He was a highway engineer for the state, plays the organ, loves his dogs, and still tills his garden up. He does all the mechanical maintenance on his vehicles and equipmentm and works on selected neighbors mowers and things.

He reminds me of several here, he's sharp as a razor and analytical to the point of scary. He see's behind things.

And he is a D-Day veteran.

The stories the man can sit and tell, not just about the war, but growing up.

His property is about 40 yards wide and 175 yards deep, and when he bought it about 50 years ago, there was no development downrange of him, so he built a berm and shot from the downstairs for decades before it got built up. He *could* legally still shoot, but does'nt want to stir the neighbors up. So, it's been quite some time since he was to the range, and that was for he and the wife to get their CCW.

So, I spent the night before and loaded up and cased up enough stuff for a small army, and yesterday I took him to the range.

Betweem the MN, 98k, AR, 1911, .22, Contender(rifle and pistol), a good time was had. Let me tell you something fella's, he's 92 years old, and is still quite a shot. At 50 yards he with my old remington single shot 22 rifle with iron sights, he was shooting inch and a half groups. At 200 yards with an AR, he was busting an 8" gong with ease.

I'm just glad I got to take him.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_170694fafc4c5c03a6.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=5190)

gray wolf
05-13-2012, 10:41 AM
That's a wonderful story,
Some old folks can tell good yarns about how it was and what they saw.
You did a great thing taking out to shoot, sounds like a good time had by all.

Nice work

Sam

Stick_man
05-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Excellent job, Hamish. Remember, Tom isn't 92 years old, he is 92 years young. Cherish the time you have with him. Have you considered recording some of his stories?

Hamish
05-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Tom had actually written a letter to his kids a few years back, and a couple of years ago one of the sons spent several hours videotaping him and took it and family photos and photos pertinent and made a dvd.

We actually share a connection as the LST he rode in the darkness in the crossing in 1944, was sister ship to the LST I rode in the '70's. Anyone who has ridden in a flat bottom jon boat running into the wind and waves has a good idea of what it's like on one. Slap,slap,slap,slap,,,,,,,

Love Life
05-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Wow. I hope I am still going strong like him if I ever reach his age. He is walking history. What I wouldn't give to shake his hand and just listen to him talk for an afternoon.

If you get a chance please tell him thank you for paving the way for future generations.

JeffinNZ
05-13-2012, 06:17 PM
If I can still shoot at 92 I will be really happy. Actually, if I can still stand at 92......

smoked turkey
05-13-2012, 10:34 PM
My hat is off to both of you. What a great memory for both of you to have of the day. What you did Hamish more of us should do for the greatest generation while we still have the opportunity.

DIRT Farmer
05-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Thank you for reaching out to him. What I have found amazing is that Dad had told a few others things he could not or would not tell his kids. As his doctor told me about Dad, after June 6 1944 every thing else was free.

LuvMy1911
05-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Please tell Tom I said "THANKS for serving our country!"

Hamish
05-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Bet'cha!

canyon-ghost
05-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Good to meet guys like Tom. He'd be welcome on our range too!

1Shirt
05-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Make it a point to take him to the range as much as possible.
1Shirt!