PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Tumbling: Video

Revolver
05-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi, got my thumlers tumbler from Cabelas, SS Media from Buffalo Arms, and Lemi Shine from my wife. I've done a few loads in it and seem to be getting good results. A video is below. I have a question however... what is the amount of lemi-shine and water suggested? I've been filling the water to the case level and adding a generous sprinkle of lemi shine. Thank You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUItmkwdeL0

GRUMPA
05-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Try this,

Add 1-9mm case of Lemi-Shine
Add 2-Tblsp of Dawn dish soap
Add 2Lb cases
Add water (hot) aprox 1" from top

Now this all depends on the quality of water, they are not all the same. If for some reason they don't turn out nice and clean use a 40cal case of Lemi-Shine and try a new batch.

Your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

Revolver
05-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Grumpa, thank you. Do you mean water to 1" from top of the drum or 1" from the top of the cases?

GRUMPA
05-10-2012, 02:03 PM
1'" from the top of the drum, if you add more than 2lbs of brass decrease the amount of water to help compensate for the weight.

Lizard333
05-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I find that cold water works best for me. I get one heck of a vacuum that develops when I start with hot water. I use one gallon. The directions I got called for 1/8 tsp but for me I use 1/4. Doesn't take much.

GRUMPA
05-10-2012, 02:12 PM
That's the thing about this, hot water works best for me because cold water out of my faucet is around 40deg and never did work as well as when I use hot water.

Your 100% on the vacuum part, sometimes it's a chore to get the seal to break loose. But by the time I'm done tumbling after 4hrs the water is kinda on the warm side. If I take and empty the tumbler after 2 hrs yes it's created a good vacuum and can be harder to remove.

Moonman
05-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Revolver,

Lemi-Shine is a RINSE agent formulated for all water types, a 9MM case full will do. (it's an ACID).

Soap added to YOUR WATER may vary according to HARDNESS.

I use a TIMER to control the run, depending upon the brass I go 1-2 hours usually. (Pistol)

My Brass is not UNBELIEVABLY CRUDDY LIKE I'VE SEEN photos of.

For FAST RELOADING, the cases can be placed into an ALCOHOL BATH after rinsing.

Alcohol needs to be 90% PLUS to 98%, NOT DRUG STORE 70%.

The Alcohol will displace all water, shake off, ready to reload in a couple minutes.

Be Careful, as it's flammable , and has to be replaced at some time due to dilution with water

Return Alcohol to original container.

Search the Stainless Steel Media threads, as a specific size (diameter/thickness)

Anti-Vibration knobs available on-line from McFeeley's can be used to replace the

easily lost wingnuts and washers.[smilie=l:

Sonnypie
05-10-2012, 03:51 PM
A couple the changes I made was to put nice thumb nuts (http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section8/en532/index.html) and 1/4" fender washers (http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Bolt-20100-Zinc-Plated-100-Count/dp/B004XMX67K/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1336679407&sr=1-2-catcorr) on mine.
The bigger knobs are much easier to work with, And the fender washers spread the tension and provide a turn key to break the vacuum on the lid.
For me, if I let it run overnight, the natural cooling from afternoon to morning helps suck the lid down.
But I use hose water in mine.

williamwaco
05-11-2012, 01:20 PM
I have not seen a Thumbler that large. What model is it?

PbHurler
05-11-2012, 01:33 PM
William,
The Model B, here's the manufacturer's link:
http://thumlerstumbler.com/rotary.html

HollowPoint
05-11-2012, 01:52 PM
If I were having a difficult time with the "Vacuum-Effect" of using hot water I'd be inclined to install a small Bleeder-Valve on the center of my lid.

It's a shame to alter such a nice setup in any way but, if hot water works best for some folks a small brass Bleeder-Valve wouldn't be much of a change to your set up.

I think they're about three or four bucks at the hardware store. You just have to drill and tap a small hole in the lid of the tumbler. Also, you'd want to take the appropriate anti-rusting precautions. Close the valve when tumbling with hot water and open the valve to equalize the vacuum pressure when done.

HollowPoint

williamwaco
05-11-2012, 05:32 PM
William,
The Model B, here's the manufacturer's link:
http://thumlerstumbler.com/rotary.html

Thanks. I am thinking I gotta have one of those. The models I have seen in the stores were two small to be interesting.

I am not interested in cleaning 50 or 100 cases. I want to do like 500 38 specials at a load.

Lizard333
05-11-2012, 06:16 PM
You can do 500 38's, it will take about 5-6 hours, with the thumblers b model. Use less water to make up for the difference in weight. The tumbler has a rating of 15 pounds. 5 for the media, approximately 8 pounds of water (1 gallon) you are left with 2 pounds of brass.

Moonman
05-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Willianwaco,

You would really be overextending the Model B 15 pound unit.

Check the sponsors site (STM) at the top of this page.

They have the 15 pound setup and a 40 pound setup ($800) for doing larger amounts of brass.