PDA

View Full Version : Tungsten/plastic wheelweights..

Lee W
07-04-2005, 03:48 PM
http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/11930309.htm

The story is focused on fishing tackle, but wheelweights are mentioned.

Johnch
07-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Sad to see more WW not being made of lead.

I ran into some Zink WW last year

I was melting a batch down for 38 and 45 bullets and had a bunch a weights float and not melt.

Talked to my freind at the car dealer and he confirmed they were zink.

I would like to get a bunch of those Tung. WW
I would find a way to use them to make shot for duck hunting.

Johnch

NVcurmudgeon
07-08-2005, 05:22 AM
You might magnet-test those "zinc" wheelweights. My most recent aquisition of weights has broken down to 234 lbs. of "real" wheelweights, 10 lbs. of tape-on (pure lead) weights, and nine of the magnetic weights. These all have the clips riveted on. Then there are another nine odd looking weights that I think will turn out to be normal alloy weights, but I will melt them separately to be safe. Finally, there is one plastic weight. In processing just about half a ton of WW in the last few years, one suspected zinc weight turned up. Floated, did not melt, obviously heavy enough to be metal for sure, but that exhausts my testing capabilities. Eyeball sorting has so far been enough to protect me from the dreaded zinc monster. It also alllows culling out rubber valves, cigarette butts, tire labels, and old pizza crusts. That stuff REALLY stinks! When in doubt, just toss any weight that looks funny. If Ohio tire shops are anything like California, Montana, and Nevada dealers, a five-gallon bucket of weights will be good for about 120 lbs. of ingots and less than half a pound of question marks.

VP
07-08-2005, 08:55 PM
You might magnet-test those "zinc" wheelweights. .... Then there are another nine odd looking weights that I think will turn out to be normal alloy weights, but I will melt them separately to be safe. ... When in doubt, just toss any weight that looks funny. I've been melting wheelweights for the last 3 days. I'm using my 10# Lee Production pot. I do only about 20# a day, but I have to shut it down about 4 to get ready for my night class. Can't do much production 'cause I sleep late then loaf around the house in my boxers before getting started. Enough about me. So the tape on ones are pure lead? Do we just throw them in the mix, or save them separate for the blackpowder shooters? I have a lot of those in an 80# batch of stuff from the truck stop. What are the gray colored ones, gray-- not silver color, with the plastic-looking metallic coating on them-- they don't seem as heavy as much as the silvery, shiny lead ones, but maybe I've been breathing too many fumes to think straight. Hard to not breathe during the time it takes to pick out all those dam& clips. So far I'm getting really good at casting one pound Lyman ingots. We'll see how I do with bullets, if my moulds ever show up. I bet my UPS driver is in his back yard right now, abusing them. Also the 500 brass cases in .45 LC I ordered. Maybe that's why he grinned at me yesterday, when he drove by without slowing down.

NVcurmudgeon
07-08-2005, 10:21 PM
VP, Casting in boxers? Now that would surely make a man very careful. I soak the tape weights in a bucket of old chain saw fuel, or whatever juink gas I have around, to get the tape off, then keep them for my BP friends. Another good use is casting a few tape weight bullets from each mould you have for use as bore measuring slugs. The weights with the thick plastic coating are generally wheelweight alloy inside. I've heard that the thick coating is because of environmental fears. Those are some of the "oddballs" that I melt separately to be safe. Smelting in your bottom-pour pot is IMO paying a game you can't win. Sooner or later you will have a clogged nozzle. For dirty work, such as cleaning weights and making ingots, it might be better to use an old iron pan on a Coleman stove.

VP
07-09-2005, 04:23 AM
VP, Casting in boxers? Now that would surely make a man very careful. I soak the tape weights in a bucket of old chain saw fuel ... then keep them for my BP friends. Another good use is casting a few tape weight bullets from each mould you have for use as bore measuring slugs. The weights with the thick plastic coating are generally wheelweight alloy inside. ... Smelting in your bottom-pour pot is IMO paying a game you can't win. For dirty work, such as cleaning weights and making ingots, it might be better to use an old iron pan on a Coleman stove. Thanks NVC. I put on the overalls before I go outside. I have a box of Speer pure lead round balls (is that ok to say here?) but I'll save some tape weights still. On that clogged muzzle I've already worked a paper clip into it while pouring molten lead a bunch of times ... I'll look into setting up that Coleman stove in the back yard tomorrow.

NVcurmudgeon
07-09-2005, 07:00 AM
VP, One more thing. The Grille on a Coleman stove is not the sturdiest. I use a Potter 12 lb. pot on mine, and even use it for casting as well as smelting. My grille has a slight, harmless sag after years of use, so whatever pot arrangement you use, don't load it up too much.