PDA

View Full Version : Possible Lead Source...

nicholst55
05-09-2012, 10:17 PM
I was walking through the maintenance shop this afternoon at my new job, and noticed something - a tire balancer. For truck tires. B-I-G truck tires. So I says to myself, 'self, I'll bet them truck tires use great big wheel weights. Wonder if they're lead.' They are; great big, juicy, lead wheel weights!

Couple of problems though. 1) They belong to Uncle (who has stupid rules about such things). 2) I'm the ***. I haven't asked around about them yet, but I already know that I'm not the only gun guy there. I'll sneak up on asking about scarfing some - or all - of the used weights, even though they aren't many there at the moment. This is far from being a high-volume operation, but it's still definitely a worthwhile source.

Wish me luck!

dieguy59
05-10-2012, 12:05 AM
With the clip/lead ratio being amazing, the source need not be high volume. Good for you, hope it all goes according to your plans!

badbob454
05-10-2012, 01:55 AM
not supposed to re use them so....,? ,....... ok better ask

AndyC
05-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Absolutely - good luck! :D

Guesser
05-10-2012, 10:01 AM
I have, in years past, been given all the scrap WW from the Auto Hobby shops on several Navy bases and a couple of AFB's. Don't know how they handle them now, but back in the "dark ages" they were happy to have them gone. Check with Special Services.