PDA

View Full Version : Must... not... swear...

SlippShodd
05-09-2012, 09:41 PM
... on forum. At myself. Naturally.
Doing a small smelt of jacketed range scrap this morning, waiting for my partner to show up to go do a couple jobs. Single burner camp stove sittling on top of my table saw, 15 pounds or so of scrap in it. Partner showed up about the time it all melted nice, so I told him to hang out, I didn't want to have to waste fuel to remelt it. Skimmed the jackets out, dumped in some sawdust, lit it with a stick lighter, let it burn down, started stirring with a paint stick... fireball erupts from under the pot engulfing my arm, I jump back virtually unscathed, but trying to figure out what the hell is happening since there's no molten metal flying around, but there's this hissing ball of flame on top of my saw.
When I'd dropped the stick lighter, it came to rest on the back of the burner and eventually torched off all the butane in its tank, which was apparently considerable. Finally got ahold of the barrel and took the thing outside to burn itself out in the gravel. The plastic burned forever until it became an unrecognizable blob. I got the equivalent of mild sunburn on my forearm, but it just pissed me off.
NEVER reload, cast, smelt, work on a lathe, saw, drill press or any other piece of equipment that requires your full attention when there are distractions around. Turn 'em all off if you're gonna chat with someone. This is a rule that ain't worth breaking and I knew better.

mike

zuke
05-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Ya done learned something!

slide
05-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Amen,Brother!

Dale53
05-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Thank goodness you weren't hurt. Those lighter thingees have enough butane in them to become a small fire bomb.

Dale53

badbob454
05-10-2012, 01:53 AM
wait until you have a propane regulator fail i did and had a 5 foot fireball for a few seconds
fortunatly i was able to turn off the tank , must have some safety cause the tank wouldnt let any more gas off afterward , i think it just burned off what was in the gas lines when it failed ,was cooking supper , when it blew out on the porch , i dont have a stove in my house yet , ....by the wayy glad you are ok ..

montana_charlie
05-10-2012, 01:38 PM
When I'd dropped the stick lighter, it came to rest on the back of the burner and eventually torched off all the butane in its tank,
You "dropped" the lighter ON the camp stove?
I don't see how that problem can be prevented by following a rule about the casting surface choice.

CM

fredj338
05-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Ouch! WHy light the sawdust? I just stir mine in, it turns to charcoal sooner than later.

SlippShodd
05-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Aw, c'mon Charlie, I already admitted I was stupid. :) And I may reconsider my choice of single burners now... this one is very low profile. I didn't actually drop the lighter on the burner or the stove, just too close for safety (it was a convoluted set of circumstances).

Fred, lit it off to cut down on smoke in the garage.

mike
Days smelting without incident: 1