PDA

View Full Version : Questions I should have asked

looseprojectile
04-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Traded off a S&W model 28-2 and a Ruger single six nm convertible for a, TA DA,
Tarus Thunderbolt.

The tarus had been fired a total of ten rounds, is new. I brought it home and went directly to my .45 lc ammo stash. They won't load into the magazine and are too long.

I never gave much thought to the limitations imposed by the tube mag and being able to load the darn thing.

These are swc loads with the front band ahead of the crimp groove. So now I have very little ammo until I cast some boolits in an old rnfp two cavity Ideal mold I have had for decades. Glad I didn't get rid of it.

On this Tarus slide action the cartridge must be very short and the boolit smaller in diameter than swc type boolits to go into the loading gate and make the turn into the tube mag.
Tried some Remington factory rounds and they just do fit through the loading gate into the magazine and they do feed ok.

Rats, I was anticipating how well this rifle would shoot the big swcs.
For now it will be a single shot with those loads. Because of the tube magazine I may have a problem with boolits with no crimp groove? Maybe have to use a compressed powder load?

Also the bore has lots of fine machining marks and I have no clue what the twist or groove diameter is. I will find these things out in due time.

Anyone ever thought of having a check list to go over when buying a new gun?
Would a list make any difference?

All in all I am still stoked over my new acquisition.
I posted this so everyone would know some of the limitations of the Tarus lightning type rifle, nice as it is. Shooting report will come a little later.
Happy shooting

versifier
04-14-2007, 10:37 AM
My list always starts with "Avoid Taurus products.....", but that is a personal opinion arrived at after seeing one too many of them not work and/or fall apart at the range. Supposedly their quality control has improved, but you still can't prove it by me - just saw a Raging Bull at the range last fall that was NIB and not timed properly, shaving and spitting lead. Inconsistant is the word I'm looking for - I do admit to knowing several shooters who have well behaved Taurus products, but they are not numerous. I know that there are a lot of board members that have and really like them, and I am glad for them, but if you want a lever action, buy a Marlin, a Savage, or a Winchester. Just because it's pretty on the outside doesn't necessarily mean it's well made or properly engineered on the inside.

Char-Gar
04-14-2007, 11:55 AM
You looking for sympathy from me? Hummpff..Anybody that would swap off a Smith Highway Patrolman (28) for anything, deserves just what he gets. You just got a dose of Karma. Good.. I hope that taught you a lesson!!!!

Go forth and sin no more!!

Boomer Mikey
04-14-2007, 12:05 PM
The Tarus Thunderbolt is notorious as a problem ridden product, the guy you swapped with is the one who's smiling.

My shooting buddy got one and it's been back three time now, apparently the Tarus repair shop can't get them to work either.

They look beautiful hanging on the wall.

Good luck,

Boomer :Fire:

MT Gianni
04-14-2007, 05:50 PM
I would say "gee, it turns out my wife really misses those 2 guns, any chance of swapping back?" Gianni

Bug
04-14-2007, 06:05 PM
Man,
You guys reeely know how to cheer a guy up! :^P

Four Fingers of Death
04-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Go to this site:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,8748.0.html

It is the CAS City site. there were a lot of articles there, I didn't take much notice as I don't own one, but have a poke around or do a search. I'm sure there are some stickys there somewhere. I don't visit the site much now, bit busy.

They also have a guy selling 45'specials', a shortened 45 Colt to cut down on black powder loads, they might work with your SWC's. I think you would be better off just sticking to old fashioned RNFPs. Don't worry about the crimp groove, use a Lee Factory Crimp die. I have the same problem with my 1866, everything is too long for it.

Here's a review by Quinn:

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus_Thunderbolt.htm

email him maybe, saw you got it after he gave it such a glowing review, no don't do that, it is way too sneaky ;) Mick.

SharpsShooter
04-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Last Taurus Lightning I saw, you had to beat it to get it to cycle. It went back to the factory for repair and I think they sent the fellow a new one. The action was really rough and it would lock up each time it was fired.:???:

Say................you don't happen to have S&W model 27 laying around do ya?[smilie=1:

SS

mooman76
04-14-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't mind a Tarus as long as it's well broke in and got the knks out!

looseprojectile
04-14-2007, 10:33 PM
I do think I detect a slight bit of prejudice. I suspect most of you own lever guns. I do too.
I traded with a friend and I had very little invested in the two revolvers.
Regarding recently made firearms, it has been my experience that most any of them need a little tweaking to make them run correctly.
At your [collective] prompting i just went out and shot the offending piece.
NO PROBLEMS. Runs great with Remington and Blaser ammo.
Yes I did trade off my model 27 a long time ago. I have little use for handguns.
I used to shoot handguns a lot, now I am near deaf and have arthritis in my hands. This was when a "man" didn't use hearing protection and loaded hot loads for the four inch .44 mags. Yes the early model 29s which I traded for rifles.
Must be the mean season.
Happy shooting

Four Fingers of Death
04-15-2007, 05:41 AM
gotta cycle them real smart like!

Bret4207
04-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Looseprojectile- Don't let them get you down. Just look at it as a bit of a challenge. Folks told me I was a fool to buy a Star PD, Astra Constable, Argie' '27 1911A1, 303 Savage, K-31 Swiss and Steyr 95. All of those have been joys compared to a couple Remingtons and a Ruger I owned. Just work the kinks out and then come back and show 'em they we're wrong. It'll work out.

Dale53
04-15-2007, 12:20 PM
I have some Taurus revolvers that I REALLY like. I have S&W's, Rugers, Marlins, et al and et al....

I have had occasional problems with every brand.

My first Marlin lever action was a .44 magnum. It wouldn't feed Keith bullets as the overal length was too great. It really bummed me out as, at the time, it was Keith or nothin' for me. However, it was made to SAAMI specs and the cartridges were too long. I switched to the Lyman 200 gr gas checked bullet for the .44/40 (now no longer cataloged). It was a RF nose configuration and fell within the length specs. I had NO further problems with that rifle.

You just need to feed these rifles (assuming they are not defective) correctly. Just try a bullet that allows the cartridge overall length to be within SAAMI specs. You'll probably do just fine.

Good luck!

Dale53

looseprojectile
04-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Loaded some 160 gr. rnfp from an old ideal mold this morning.

Very little case tension. I then polished the expanding plug. Now I think I am close to getting good to go ammo.
I have an old set of RCBS carbide dies an they size small enough, though were not expanding small enough to get a good grip on the boolit. Used a fairly hard crimp into the ogive of the boolit.
Used nearly a case full of W 296 as I figured a slow powder [relatively] would produce more velocity in the long barrel. May try some RE 7 also.
I think I am on the right track at this point.
Also I found a couple of boxes of 200 gr. Hornady JHP bullets that I think are for 45 auto. Need to slug the bore.
When I fired this rifle yesterday it was hitting POA no problem at short range.
Today I filed the rear sight notch deeper and wider as the notch it comes with is very small and hard to see. It's coming along rather well.
Because it bothers so many people here I will be sure to add updates on this rifle often.:drinks:

PPpastordon
04-16-2007, 05:07 AM
looseprojectile;
Now ya got it!
I should thing a case full of 296 would be interesting. However, I hate ball powders when the pressures are low. Usually dirty and not real predictable - well, not if the case isn't full. Not always cleaner, but I prefer 4227 as it has always seemed more consistent and accurate.
Oh. Sorry to disappoint you, but it doesn't bother me a bit. And is a great challenge for you.

looseprojectile
04-16-2007, 11:19 AM
PPpastordon
You are right on. Those rounds I shot were just as you stated . Will go to Unique or some of the Dots, don't even try W 296 in the .45 Colt, it doesn't work.
I think I may have some 4227. Had no leading though, and that was my main concern. The rifle worked flawlessly, though it is still stiff to operate the action.
Update later!