PDA

View Full Version : Another Comment on Ebay

alamogunr
05-09-2012, 08:38 AM
I have been trying for about 3 weeks to put together a kit for reloading at the range. The range is about a 70 mile round trip for me so development is somewhat cumbersome and time consuming if I try to think of everything and drive back and forth.

Consequently, I have been on Ebay trying to get a deal on a scale, powder measure, etc. The only thing I have accomplished is to buy a cheap Lee press from Grafs. Good items sell for slightly less than new. Not enough to bother with when shipping is considered. Many Ebay sellers apparently make more on shipping charges than on the item itself.

The prices I'm comparing are the price I get from Graf with my C&R. They allow me dealer price. I'm not pushing Graf. Only commenting that Ebay is not worth the risk on most items. I'm not fast enough to get the good deals on S&S on this site. Several items that I would have bought are long gone before I see them. The activity here is brisk because, aside from a few deadbeats that are identified, you can trust the sellers here.

My point? Ebay is not the resource it was 10 years ago. At least not for me.

DHurtig
05-09-2012, 09:39 AM
And heaven forbid if you have any kind of a problem. I'm currently involved with a vendor that hasn't been paid. I thought I paid for the item 6 days ago. I don't know if there was a hiccup with paypal, or if I did something wrong. Just try and get some customer support from Ebay or paypal. No the problem is not on your list of canned questions. Click this link, call this number, enter this response to the text you will receive. What a nightmare. Spent an hour trying to figure it out last night. Two minutes on the phone with a competent customer service rep should have solved the problem. All of this for something I don't even need, just a call I wanted to add to my collection. Dale

contender1
05-09-2012, 10:00 AM
I stopped using sleezbay a few years back when they got more & more anti-gun. Then they also forced the use of pay-me-pal upon everyone. (They own it too.)
Many folks were upset with the fees that sleezbay charged, so they would list an item cheap, and make up for the price difference in shipping. Sleezbay stopped that as well.
They are greedy.

Now, if you happen to still need a few things, I do have a RCBS Uniflow I'm gonna sell. I haven't worried about selling it as I just do not want to give sleezbay any of my money. PM me & we can talk, if you are interested.

brstevns
05-09-2012, 10:21 AM
That is the reson I stopped using them as well, forced to use Pay Pal and to make matters even worse someone hacked into my account!!!!

Baja_Traveler
05-09-2012, 10:44 AM
The second time I was ripped off was the last straw - that was 10 years ago and I've never been back.
The detective in my case (some guy in Russia hijacked a legit users account and sold several million dollars of non-existent electronics) told me the fraud that goes on at sleezbay that we never hear about is so rampant they cant keep up with it. They organized the whole operation so communication with them is non existant, which allows them to hide just about any problem from the masses.
Of course they would not honor their "guarantee", and when I called my credit card company to reverse the charge, PayPal froze and shut down my account as punishment.

alamogunr
05-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I stopped using sleezbay a few years back when they got more & more anti-gun. Then they also forced the use of pay-me-pal upon everyone. (They own it too.)
Many folks were upset with the fees that sleezbay charged, so they would list an item cheap, and make up for the price difference in shipping. Sleezbay stopped that as well.
They are greedy.

Now, if you happen to still need a few things, I do have a RCBS Uniflow I'm gonna sell. I haven't worried about selling it as I just do not want to give sleezbay any of my money. PM me & we can talk, if you are interested.

I maintain a PayPal account to use when participating in mold GB's. It is about the only way to pay Miha for his molds.

Actually, I have 2 Uniflow measures. I've been trying to decide if there is a better measure for portable use. Probably not.

jcwit
05-09-2012, 11:30 AM
I have no problems with PayPal, I use a Debit card and if someone is so desperate for money to hack into that, they are welcome to it. They'll only get $5/$10 bucks at the most.

As far as the auctions go, they are the same as any other auction, the dude who wishes to spend the most gets the item. I fail to see the problem with that set-up, unless folks feel they are entitled to a lower price.

Stick_man
05-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I will still use ebay when I find a good deal (as a purchaser) but refuse to sell anything there. I find their fees and policies a bit rediculous.

As for a portable reloading setup, I have my Lee Turret Press and powder measures both set up on a short piece of 2x6 because I don't have a dedicated area just for reloading. I find a couple C-clamps and blocks to work wonders. Takes less than 5 minutes to set up and could even be set up on a tailgate or portable shooting bench if needed.

OBIII
05-09-2012, 12:39 PM
alamogunr, (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=165)

Have you tried posting in the WTB section? Sellers should be looking there first to see if there is anyone looking for what they have. Just a thought.

OB