PDA

View Full Version : Did You Know?

Lee
05-08-2012, 07:48 PM
I just read a Consumers Report article outlining some ways that on-line apps can data mine your personal information.

Let's use an example;

I got a MidWayUSA email because it's soon my birthday. Nah, no discount, just an invite to spend/send money to them. Meh! Thanks for the B'Day discount. NOT! At the bottom of their page is an innocuous FB button. Okay?
According to CR, any site that has a FaceBook button on the page, well, the FaceBook Lamprey seizes all of the information about you that it can. It then sells it to anyone willing to buy. And there's many!
You don't need to click on the FB button, you don't need to hover over the button, you don't need to click any further on the page, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A FB MEMBER! All you need to do is visit the site! You've been hooked, and you didn't even smell the bait!

I won't pretend to be the Internet guru, so I can't say just what ALL the FB Lamprey can scour up, but I can give my opinion on this intrusion on my privacy.
I AM DISGUSTED! And if you think it's just FB, you need to think again......
I won't claim what all it can mine about you, but I object to the entire idea and concept. Be afraid, be very afraid. It seems that very little that you do anymore is away from prying eyes. Weasels looking to shill you in some way, somehow......
Markie is laughing all the way to his Swiss Bank .................:evil:

44fanatic
05-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Its what the future holds...The only thing we can do about it is "go off the grid"...no CC's, no bank, no computer connectivity...nothing that leaves a electronic trace.

If you arent already seeing it, you soon will...targeted advertising. You go online, the sites you visit are "collected" and the next thing you know, when you go to google, yahoo, msn you will have adds that reflect what you have been visiting on the internet.

41 mag fan
05-09-2012, 09:03 AM
It's amazing how integrated the net has become in almost virtually everyones lives. There's not many out there whose not connected to the net one way or the other, whether it be at home or work.
Only stands to reason in the world "as it is today", info is collected about everyone......you might be a terrorist because you want to look up a chicken soup recipe online
Between big brothers insecurity and corporate greed, going off grid, like 44fanatic mentioned, is the only way to privacy anymore