PDA

View Full Version : LBT throat and push through slugs arrived, yahoo.

Canuck Bob
05-07-2012, 05:46 PM
I ordered up some real throat slugs and push through slugs from Veral with lube, book, and lapping kit.

Now my cast training will ramp up.

All my rifles will get a thorough and detailed cleaning. first throat slugs will be made. I can then check the constrictions in all my rifles and lap accordingly. I used fishing sinkers earlier but want to produce undisturbed slugs for custom mold patterns. One thing I learned from my early slugging experiments was that measuring and handling soft lead quickly alters the dimensions. Also Veral can accurately measure my 5 groove LE 303. this is for education only. All cast bullets will be throat sized or .002 over groove for non throated rifles like my Winchester 94.

For new comers slugging the throat and barrel will educate a bunch on the rifle. Besides one cannot hang around here long and not learn bullet fit is king and the starting place for casting.

gray wolf
05-08-2012, 09:32 AM
So tell us please, how are these slugs different than the soft lead we use now ?
Is the application the same for handguns ?

Canuck Bob
05-08-2012, 10:14 AM
They are just soft slugs from a mold. The throat slugs are lead cylinders about an inch long. The push throughs are like little appropriate sized lead bullets of a 1/4 inch with one grooves one can feel the restrictions. They have a tail that slips into the cleaning rod for ease of handling. I'll report on their effectiveness soon.

ku4hx
05-08-2012, 10:38 AM
I'll have to admit, it just never occurred to me to order custom pure lead slugs. Back in the early '70s when I thought I wanted to load black powder I acquired about 30 pounds of pure lead ... still got most of it. I just keep re-melting it and casting the slugs I need from one mold or another. Some I've just reshaped a bit with a brass hammer on an 8x10 piece of 3/8" sheet steel.

williamwaco
05-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I'll have to admit, it just never occurred to me to order custom pure lead slugs. Back in the early '70s when I thought I wanted to load black powder I acquired about 30 pounds of pure lead ... still got most of it. I just keep re-melting it and casting the slugs I need from one mold or another. Some I've just reshaped a bit with a brass hammer on an 8x10 piece of 3/8" sheet steel.

I just use the shortest bullet I have and cast pure lead bullets and save them in a box.

I will melt about 5 pounds of pure lead and cast several dozen slugs of each caliber I use.