PDA

View Full Version : Highway robbery at the scrap yard

quiver
05-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Went in today to the local yard since I noticed that the price of lead was down today. Asked what the sell price of lead was he responed with the buy price of $0.20/lb. When I further clarified that I was interested in the sell price he responded with $1.02/lb! Needless to say I didn't buy any lead today. Anyone know where one can find a better deal in the Firelands area?

Shiloh
05-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Thats quite the spread. The srap business must be doing well.

Shiloh

rockrat
05-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Worse here $0.09/$0.80

quiver
05-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Rockrat,

How much competition does the yard in your area have? Several of the yards in my area are owned by the same person. So no real competition leads to inflated prices. At least you can buy for under a buck per pound!

handyman25
05-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Put a add in the newspaper etc. If he offering 20 cents then offer to buy for 40 cents.

Lead Fred
05-07-2012, 07:12 PM
My local scrapper loves me, I come get a bucket full every 3-4 months, for $25.
That way he does not have to hassle with recycling in our state where it was outlawed by the commie gobermint.

badgeredd
05-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Went in today to the local yard since I noticed that the price of lead was down today. Asked what the sell price of lead was he responed with the buy price of $0.20/lb. When I further clarified that I was interested in the sell price he responded with $1.02/lb! Needless to say I didn't buy any lead today. Anyone know where one can find a better deal in the Firelands area?

I've been using their prices to beat them at their own game. By that I mean, I have been getting my WWs from a local tire dealer. I check the scrap yards buy price and then double it to give a fair price for scrap lead. The fellows I deal with always give me a break on the weight as they know there is a bit of trash in the buckets. Since the scrap yards are trying to buy super low, I am hitting a fair price that isn't overly expensive for me. The last trip cost me $75 for about 275#. Since I have tried to be fair with them, I told them that I had checked the price at the scrap yard and they were offering $0.15 a pound so I'd pay $0.30 a pound. Yes, I'd love to get them free but the reality is I am in competition for the metal so I need to be fair with my paying price.

Edd

Rotaxxx
05-08-2012, 09:31 PM
$1 a pound would be cheap here, the scrap guy tries to sell it for $1.50 a pound

40Super
05-08-2012, 10:07 PM
I have a 600 or more lb (I already cut 105lbs off it)chunk of 1/4 lead plate (mangled and twisted up) sitting at my local scrap guy that I can get at $0.40/lb once I get caught up this month on things. Thats the general going cost around here. It's the same for WW. I now have a source with an escavator company that does a lot of work for cities . He sometimes digs up the old lead pipes and will save them for me when he does. That is another area others should check out.
2 years ago he told me they dug up over a mile of that pipe, if only that project was this year.:groner:

dragon813gt
05-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Well that is just a bad yard. But don't expect to get it cheaper because the price is down today. I don't know of any yard that works off of current spot prices. They work off of an average of weeks. This way the dips and spikes that can show up daily don't cost them a lot of money. Yards by me buy for $.15-.20 and sell for $.70-.80. They are in it to make money.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

RED BEAR
05-09-2012, 09:27 AM
I just bought 800 lbs at 42 cents per lb. I felt lucky to get it as it was the only yard in the area that still
dealt with lead at all. I live near a fair sized city (richmond va) and there are a lot of yards .I had to drive 35 miles to a yard that would sell lead. I am not sure of any new regulations it just seems strange that they all stopped buying or selling all at once.

quiver
05-09-2012, 09:52 AM
dragon,

Last time they did check the spot price.

40Super
05-09-2012, 10:25 AM
I imagine some do try to keep up with the daily rate, they do it with steel so they know when to send truck/train loads in to maximize profit. It's smart business, though when an individual is paying out of his pocket, it becomes more painfull at times.

lwknight
05-12-2012, 01:48 AM
When buying crapyard lead , beware that the roofing especially and lots of other stuff does not render out what it weighs. I expect on average about a 10% loss unless I find heavy lead objects. Small WWs are the worst about being lost due to the high steel percentages of clips and other non lead weights.
Roofing boots often have a good bit of tar wrapped up in them. A 3-4 pound boot could easily have 1/2 pound of tar/shingle stuck to it.