PDA

View Full Version : Range Report (pic) The Mauser

Char-Gar
04-13-2007, 12:17 PM
I made it to the range this morning with the rough finished Mauser Sporter in tow for it's first shots. Lousy day to shoot..Very overcast, and windy. The winds was blowing cross range and blew my metal framed shooting glassed ( case included) off the bench.

I had one of those Ashley plastic pegs for a front sight. You can clip these things off until you get where you want and then can buy a front sight of the right heights.

By the time I got on paper, I only had five rounds left, so I settled down and fired for record. The group was a respectable 0.65 (50 yards) and round. This was enough to tell me the rifle didn't have any bedding problems and was going to be a shooter.

The Load was the Karabiner over 17.8/2400. I am not going to be able to get cozy with this bullet as it runs .320 on the nose and my barrel runs .323 X .311 with a minty throat. I am going to order out a Lyman Loverin.

We are off to a good start. Here is the rough rifle. I now have to detail, sand and finish the stock. I will also give the metal a brushed 400 blue.

KCSO
04-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Chargar
That's a nice classic stock you got there, but the cheekpiece is on the wrong side. You might wan't to consider rust blue to give it that classic look. Rust blue isn't so much hard as it is time consuming. I have an instruction book if you want a copy.

Char-Gar
04-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Well, I am left handed don't you know! A rust blue would be nice and I know how. The problem is I don't a space to do that and I don't own this house. I have a 6" machinist vise attatched to a 2X10 which is C clamped to the kitchen breakfast bar. The Jet drill press is in the den and a 8" grinder is on the den desk. That is my gunshop.

I am an expert in "making do", "getting by", and being creative when it comes to doing gunwork without the proper space and time saving tools.

In 14 months I will retire and I have a home bought 2 hrs south of here. There I will have a real shop. It will be 20X20 and will be the first dedicated space I have had since 1970.

So, I will bite the bullet and send the metal to Accurate Plating and Weaponry. Their brushed 400 finish is as close to a classic rust blue (in appearance) as you can get with a hot salts process.

3sixbits
04-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Chargar: You have the ideal set up for doing the MARK LEE Express blue #1 finish on your new toy. Great rust blue without the sweat box and all the hassel. Try it, you'll like it!

onceabull
04-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Chargar: Not by any means an expert on the SO.Texas road system,But had the impression that two hours south of your present loc. BY AUTOMOBILE would be on the wrong side of the Rio Grande?? :roll: Onceabull

Char-Gar
04-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Onceabull... Two hours South and I will still be on our side of the river...but just by 3 miles. Thats as the crow flys, if the crow has to drive the rural roads it will be about 5 or 6 miles. Viva La Raza!!

RayinNH
04-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Chargar, I'm a lefty also. To my eye that cheek piece looks perfectly fine just where it is. It's a smart looking rifle, and a shooter to boot...Ray

madcaster
04-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Charger,what make is the reciever sight?

JeffinNZ
04-14-2007, 05:34 AM
I had a 323470 I used in my VZ33. It shot well at mid range but not fast as the rifling was a little rounded on the edges. 2 cavity mould and I had one cavity cut to throw a truncated FN with a large metplat. Did the job on game I can tell you and much better stopper than the RN original.

Char-Gar
04-14-2007, 06:37 AM
Madcaster... The rear sight is an older Redfield with target knobs. The knobs are round and not pumpkin shaped as they were on later Redfields. It has the features of a 70 thought not marked as to model. It was mint when I got it last year. It is a real quality piece of work. I got it in a swap.