PDA

View Full Version : Old powder ???

RACWIN375
05-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Hi,
I was at a gun show yesterday a guy was selling old stock powder in sealed containers $10 a lb it was in the old cardboard can
he had RL7 that I buy for $29.95+tax

would you buy??? and shoot in your gun(Marlin 375WIN) as if it was new powder???

would you buy the 3 lb's he had

thanks for your input

Rick

:confused:

nfg
05-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Depends on what you think is a good deal...if you think your rifle is "worth less" then....just how "economic" would it be if that powder proved to be highly erratic and blew up your rifle.

I DON'T BUY old powder, old primers, old horses, old dogs, old trucks, old mushrooms, and/or old women or just about ANYTHING OLD....not to put TOO FINE A POINT on it...it just isn't worth the possible aftereffects.

I have no idea what the longevity of RL-7 is but you can contact the maker to find out.

SlowSmokeN
05-06-2012, 08:09 PM
If it was old powder that I properly stored than I would have no problems. Too many unknowns to risk for me.

runfiverun
05-06-2012, 08:45 PM
powder is either good or it ain't.

unique
05-06-2012, 09:37 PM
If it was me I would buy it. If you have to ask if you should buy it then I suggest you don't buy it.

The difference is matter of experience and that difference could get you in trouble.

RACWIN375
05-06-2012, 09:48 PM
If it was me I would buy it. If you have to ask if you should buy it then I suggest you don't buy it

ha what's that mean ??? hehe

ku4hx
05-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Old powder can be fine if you know under what conditions it was stored during the time it was getting old. Has the powder been properly stored? What assurances do you have it was properly stored?

I've got powder that's 20+ years old and it's fine, But than I know it's been kept cool and dry for that entire period.

I wouldn't buy and shoot this powder any sooner than I'd buy and shoot ammunition some other hand loader built. There's just no way.

Reload3006
05-07-2012, 07:16 AM
tell ya what tell me where its at so I can buy it.

44man
05-07-2012, 08:11 AM
If you know how it was stored it should be fine. He should let you smell it.
I am using powder that is stored right that is 58 years old.
Many times when I have an empty plastic jug with the same number I put the old powder in that and toss the old container. Friends save me the jugs too.
Powder can really last forever kept cool and dry.
Long ago a guy down the road said we could come and shoot. His picnic table had 2 jugs of BP on it, in all kinds of weather. I asked and he was scared to death to keep it in the house. :holysheep I guess he thought it would self ignite and if that huge house ever burned a few pounds of powder sure will not add to anything.

RACWIN375
05-07-2012, 08:31 AM
The cardboard cans looked good no stains just very little rust on the top (the old cans at home have way more) I bought the 3 one LB's he had
I opened one up today and the powder looks the same as the newer stuff and smells the same

I have been reloading since 1980 and powder lasts for a very long time
I'll make up some loads with the old stuff and some with the new loaded the same and run over the croney thingy and see if they the same

Rick

Mal Paso
05-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Look at the Cardboard the powder came in. It will tell you how the powder was stored. Any moisture, heat or light will show.

John Boy
05-07-2012, 08:38 AM
How to Check Smokeless Gunpowder for Deterioration ...
http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx#Anchor-How-47857

44man
05-07-2012, 10:49 AM
How to Check Smokeless Gunpowder for Deterioration ...
http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx#Anchor-How-47857
Very good. Still, stored proper and it will be good. Moisture and heat is bad.

pt4u2nv
05-07-2012, 12:07 PM
I actually had some old IMR powder, probably 20 yrs old , in the metal cans that I had a use for the other day and when I poured it into the powder measure the rust dust just floated out and settled everywhere. I was really concerned so I took a small pile and lit it and it seemed to burn the same as a can of new powder. I proceeded very carefully to load a few shells to see what they did on the chrony compared to the newer powder and they actually showed to be more consistent. I loaded a bunch more for further testing and they actually shot better in group size and consistency on the chrony than the ones with the same but newer powder. Go figure.....long story short I decided to load up as normal with the "rusty" powder.

FLINTNFIRE
05-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Was given an old 14 oz can of unique , smelled fine looked good , shot good , have a old 8lb can of h4831 I was given years ago , shoots fine also, kept cool and dry and in the dark , powder does last a long time

squirrelnuttz
05-07-2012, 06:37 PM
I am shooting a keg of SR4759 that is 1974 vintage.Works great in .45 Auto and 12 G. loads. Was of course still factory sealed when I purchased it.

Suo Gan
05-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Everyone is always worried about powder, and yet they shoot ancient factories stored in the barn with no second thought.

Lead Fred
05-07-2012, 06:51 PM
I am a licensed old powder recycler.

I even dispose of the foul material, free of charge

fatelk
05-08-2012, 01:35 AM
I picked up some old powder recently; I plan on using it-
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm274/fatelk/cans006.jpg

Here are some others I used up some time back-
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm274/fatelk/cans007.jpg

That's assuming it's good, of course. I have thrown old powder away before, several pounds each of 4831 and 4895. I had some questionable 4064 that I should have thrown away. In my experience, limited to the few types of powder I have personally seen go bad, it gets weaker when it goes bad.

ADDED: When in doubt- throw it out! Back when I first started loading, I had a bad experience with a can of Alcan 7 that turned out to be something else someone had stored in an old can, was lucky I didn't blow up my old Mossberg 500. My use of "vintage" powder is based on experience in using these different powders, knowing the signs of bad powder, and understanding the inherent risks.