PDA

View Full Version : My first pewter find.

DHurtig
05-06-2012, 10:08 AM
I've been doing a lot of reading here and digesting the wealth of knowledge available. While rummaging with the Mrs yesterday I found an interesting mug with a $3 sticker. On the bottom it said " Sheffield English Pewter Made In England ". The script was in the shape of a large W. It seemed to have a pretty good heft to it so I figured I'd risk my hard earned $3.

After a little research at home I was able to determine that it was made by Wentworth in Sheffield England. A quick internet search brought me to the Thomas Dale Company in Morton Illinois. A little browsing and I found my mug. It is a med tankard with a single celtic band and sells for $69. Figured I'd better search Ebay to make sure I wasn't contemplating melting down something with a respectable resale value. I was surprised at the lack of interest in all the items listed. Oh well, it'll look nice on the shelf until it is called to a higher purpose.

Anyway the description of the mug in the ad listed its weight at 11.8 oz so I don't think I over paid too bad for my first time. Dale

DHurtig
05-06-2012, 01:35 PM
This one has a solid bottom, so it is 11.8 oz of pewter. Dale

leadbutt
05-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Gj.:drinks:

Its always good to check before you melt.

L. Bottoms

a.squibload
05-08-2012, 12:38 AM
New $69, used who knows, but if you sell it for $25 + shipping you did alright.
If it was an old collectible it would be a different story, but being current production
probably makes it a melter.

hickfu
05-11-2012, 03:03 AM
I have been going to my local swap meet and picking up pewter for 1.00 a mug from some ( just about 12oz each) and some people want 5 to 6 dollars for the same thing a couple isles over. I show them the mugs I bought with the price stickers on it and they sell them to me for 1.00

You might bring your own in with you with a 1.00 sticker to see if you can get them to come down on their price.

Doc

Revolver
05-11-2012, 08:08 PM
...You might bring your own in with you with a 1.00 sticker to see if you can get them to come down on their price.

That made me laugh, Clever Tactics!