PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sale - Double Score

dpaultx
05-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Bright sun-shiny morning here in the beautiful southwest. Even the incessant winds we've had for the last week or so had slacked up a bit, so figured I'd make a couple of Garage Sales on the way to the office.

Pulled the CraigsList app up on the cell phone, checked the GS listings, and sure enough, there're three of them listed in the vicinity of my normal route to the shop.

First stop - no luck. Nothing but old clothes, toys, and junk.

Second stop - much better. Lots of old tools, but nothing I needed or didn't already have. In the very back of the old garage was an old wooden box containing a nearly new seven cavity Palmer sinker mold, two cast iron ladles, a really big heavy steel ladle, and a big coffee can containing about 25 pounds of already melted lead. My cost - $7.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/88754fa56f8941219.jpg

Third stop - better yet. From the street, this one looked like a repeat of the first sale, but there was a table at the back with some cast iron cookware and other kitchen type stuff. The cast iron turned out to be Chinese, but underneath the table was an old beat-up, once silver colored, tea service. I picked up the pot and on the bottom it said Benedict Pewter. The bowl looking piece was marked Pilgrim - Solid Pewter. My cost for the four piece set (all 3-1/2 pounds of it) - $3.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/88754fa56f892e03a.jpg

Not a bad $10 start to the day.

Happy scavenging . . . Doug

Stick_man
05-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Nice score! I am jealous.

Rangefinder
05-05-2012, 04:59 PM
SWEET! Pewter has all but dried up on me lately--usually the thrift stores have a few clunker-pieces I can get on the cheap. 6 months of nothing at all so far here. I'm jealous too!

imashooter2
05-05-2012, 06:18 PM
A solid ten buck investment! Congratulations on your finds.

wtfooptimax200
05-05-2012, 08:32 PM
That score totally embarrasses the three pounds of pewter that I got today for 9 dollars. Way to go!

imashooter2
05-05-2012, 08:37 PM
3 bucks a pound isn't exactly a terrible price for tin...

runfiverun
05-05-2012, 09:21 PM
from the looks of the gold sheen on those lead ingots you might be even happier when you get looking at it closer.