PDA

View Full Version : Gluets range report (hot glue bullets)

phuphuphnik
05-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.
I picked up a 45-70 Handi rifle a couple weeks ago, and as I don't have many chances to go out and shoot as I'd like I am getting trigger time with hotglue rounds.
I'm using a LEE 405g (lee# 90374) mold and regular ACE all purpose hot glue.
Oil the cavity with light oil (stole it from the wife's spinning wheel) I found that you just need to glisten the surface for it to work, a little dab will do you.
Let the glue cool thoroughly, and make sure of this. The one time one got stuck, the gluet was a bit tacky. (there was also 3 low power primers in the batch which didn't help) I used CCI magnum large rifle primers and Starline brass. Reloaded with a lee loader and the bullet pressed in by hand.

These were shot into a bullet trap made of 3/4" pine nailed together at a 45 degree angle.

Accuracy is spot on, while I'm only 20' away, groups often result in a 3/4" hole with 5 shots offhand.

Ricochet: these bounce. I fired dead on at the concrete wall (had a rig, I wasn't holding the gun) and the gluet hit the wall behind the shooting position. The bullet trap is a rather important precaution IMHO.
The gluets can be used several times before they get beat up. Then, as the sticks are 45 cal, you can run them through the glue gun again.

I have put about 75 rounds through the rifle, and the only glue fouling is from the one that got stuck. I used a pinch of ffg and a primer to 'foomph' it out. The heat from the black powder melted the glue and it takes some scrubbing with a bronze brush to get out. I believe that firing a real round would get rid of it as well, but see above.

Hope this meets with your approval.
cheers,
Chriso
aka phuphuphnik

PS, since these are cast by hand, should they be called glooits?

Ernest
05-04-2012, 10:57 PM
sounds like a great experiment

dk17hmr
05-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Welcome to the club :)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17577&highlight=dk17hmr

Alferd Packer
05-07-2020, 04:11 PM
Reading this old thread.If you get one stuck in a .45 barrel, just slip a .32 cartridge case on the end of a cleaning rod and push out the plastic bullet.
You should be shooting these in a bore wet with a thin film of oil anyway.
They never stick that way.
Same film of oil you put in mold to keep them from sticking .
Also best to let fresh cast ones "cure" overnite before loading them.