PDA

View Full Version : I got a letter from the IRS

frkelly74
05-04-2012, 01:49 PM
I have had a running dispute with the IRS over my 2010 return. I used turbo tax and it said we had a really nice refund due so I said Yippee and sent it off. But the IRS disagreed and said we actually owed about $400 unless we proved adoption expenses for our last adoption which was final in 2006. We had been carrying over the adoption credit hoping to make some money at some time to use up the credit. Apparently in 2010 the law changed and the credit became refundable whereas before that it was not and you could only use it to offset actual taxes. And if you are making no money, you do not have much income tax liability. But then finally in 2010 we could claim the maximum when the credit became refundable. Well something got fouled up in turbo tax and it put in way more than it should have. But that wasn't the issue at first, it was prove expenses. So we proved expenses and those went back to 2006 and 2005 so that dragged in another of our adoptions which was final in 2002, but had been carried over to 2006. That is when we found out that banks are not required to keep your records beyond 7 years old. So when the examiner said prove expenses for that adoption we were in trouble. It was while we were arguing the unreasonableness of asking for those reciepts, 10/11 years old, That they seemed to notice that we had over claimed the credit in the first place. So Examination version II came up with a different higher number of dollars owed. So I complained to my Senator who is Debbie Stabenow. I know she is a Democrat but her office seemed eager to help a constituent who was up against the mean old IRS. And as it turns out they did help me. We had gotten the final deficiency notice and the countdown was running for appealing it and a notice came that they were considering our letter from late March, Which I had actually written in early February and sent to Senator Stabenow's office for them to forward to the Tax advocates office. It did eventually get through and someone re did our examination and I am getting a nice refund after all it looks like. I called the IRS and had them look up my case and it took the lady a long time to read through it but when she got to the bottom line there it was. This almost restores my faith in being able to get reasonable responses from the Federal Government. It also raises the specter of me possibly voting for a Democrat . I will at least have to send them a nice thank you note. Morale of story, When you have done good and done right, do not give up hope.

41 mag fan
05-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Thats good to hear.
Sad part of any voting is each side of the isle has some good ideas. But those good ideas are forgotten and become obsolete, and that side of isle becomes vile, or the politician becomes a villian because they either vote against or restrict something that is dear to us, just such as gun related issues.

If both sides would focus on the most important issues....economy, defense, medicare, and tax burdens, leave the issues like gun control to the states, both sides would be worth looking at, instead of looking at with contempt.

Love Life
05-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Good to hear. I had a similar situation that my representative handled.

I purchase my propane from Amerigas. The first experience was absolutely horrible. I paid in advance, but there was a charge of $3.77 because the tank held an extra gallon or so. No biggie. I wrote the check and called it good. Well a couple of days later I check my bank acount and it says $-1270.75. They put the payment in for $3,770. 75!!! I called raising all hell and finally got my money and overdraft fee refunded. Things happen so I chalked it up to life experience.

Fast forward a couple months and it is time for gas again. I called to prepay as usual and specifically told the person on the phone that I don't want a penny more added. I assume all is good. Well a couple of days after the fill up I get a bill for $36.89. I called and raised hell with the Amerigas station. They replied "We did go a bit over, but you still have to pay for it." I said not my problem and they should eat the screw up. Well they still wanted me to pay. I wrote my state representative detailing the two incidents. I got a phone call two weeks later from the Amerigas regional manager that not only wiped away the bill, but gave me a 25% discount on my next fill up.

Sometimes the politicians do help the people.

9.3X62AL
05-04-2012, 03:47 PM
I've had pretty good contacts with IRS over the years. I've found them to be fair and reasonable in my dealings with them. I'm sure they put up with a TON of negativity from their clients, so when I treat them with civility and respect over the phone they respond very positively. They might be .gov and the Tax Man.......but they are people, too--and people respond well to decent and polite conversation.

runfiverun
05-04-2012, 04:08 PM
I've had pretty good contacts with IRS over the years. I've found them to be fair and reasonable in my dealings with them. I'm sure they put up with a TON of negativity from their clients, so when I treat them with civility and respect over the phone they respond very positively. They might be .gov and the Tax Man.......but they are people, too--and people respond well to decent and polite conversation.

amen.
works at the dmv too.

3006guns
05-04-2012, 04:59 PM
First of all, I'm glad.....really glad....that the OP's situation worked out for the best. Although he was completely in the right, his return got fouled up anyway and this is why I won't use programs such as TurboTax. Yeah, I realize it's good and certainly effective....but if there's a problem it certainly won't act as an advocate on your behalf. You end up being the one trying to solve the problem and if you're not completely familiar with tax law, well.............

My tax preparer (NOT H&R Block) can and HAS gone to bat for me in the past. Well worth the $150 she charges me!

edsmith
05-04-2012, 05:42 PM
we have been using tubrotax for a while now, we got a irs letter saying we still owed $400, went a tax pro, and we ended getting back $4000 on our amended return, no turbo tax from now on.we will spend a few extra bucks and get our tax done right.

BD
05-04-2012, 05:59 PM
I've also had pretty fair dealings with the IRS folks. I don't like the system, but the folks working in it have been decent. I'd sure be happier to just pay a flat tax, no mystery, no stress, no accountant needed.
BD

Bob Krack
05-04-2012, 06:16 PM
I've also had pretty fair dealings with the IRS folks. I don't like the system, but the folks working in it have been decent. I'd sure be happier to just pay a flat tax, no mystery, no stress, no accountant needed.
BDAMEN brother!

Bob

theperfessor
05-04-2012, 06:46 PM
I've had to get in touch with the IRS for help several times and have always been polite to them and they have been polite in return. Once I explained my problems they were pretty helpful in suggesting ways to deal with things.

Since my wife and I formed a LLC a couple years ago we hired a professional accountant to do all our tax work and while he isn't cheap he is intelligent and thorough. A lot less stress on me and the bride and we can deduct what he charges on next years taxes.

I'm all for people being self sufficient and I'm glad I learned about the tax system by doing ours for years, but at a certain level it makes a lot of sense to hire a pro.

Harter66
05-04-2012, 07:07 PM
I 2005 H&R handled the last 1 they will do for me. I walked out of the office expecting 1250 after fees. A few days later they called the return had been declined for mis-matched SSN for kids and when corrected I would get only 40 after fees,ok whatever its the divorce kid split get it done so I can be done. 3 days go by now I owe 1250.wth. in 2007 I refiled it myself ,it was never filed by H&R, low and behold 8 weeks later I got my check , not for the 1278 I had figured but for 1410 w/letter stating that it had been reviewed and and error corrected.

Amerigas ate 140gallons because I owned the tank they were the only game in town and the service order stated prepaid 100 gallons vs 100% fill plus they preformed unathorized repairs to my equiptment , they took it to collections and the judge sided w/us sighting the prepay only acct.

Wayne Smith
05-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Our representatives are supposed to work for us. That is their primary job. Such service from an employee is to be expected. When it is not there we need to change employees.

WILCO
05-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Our representatives are supposed to work for us. That is their primary job. Such service from an employee is to be expected. When it is not there we need to change employees.

Well said.

WILCO
05-05-2012, 12:34 PM
people respond well to decent and polite conversation.

That's true. Every time I have to interact with some type of government official, I'm always well groomed and polite. I want them to see me, interact with me and then forget I exist.

dmize
05-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Its good to hear the positive experiences from other forum members. But I have a Tax Consultant for a reason. i.e. if there is a mistake SHE has to explain her actions to the IRS.