PDA

View Full Version : Pewter find

Sasquatch-1
05-04-2012, 01:25 PM
I found the following items at yard sales today.

The hammer I am not sure of. It appears to be a soft metal but is deffinately not lead. I am thinking it is either tin ( I hope) Aluminum or zink. It is very light for it's size.

The cup and pitcher are both pewter and I paid a total of $4.10 for the lot. The pitcher is over a pound and the cup is about 7 ozs.

imashooter2
05-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Nice find. You should add these to the pewter pictures and hallmarks thread.

"Light for its size" would lead me to think aluminum. Tin is lighter than lead, but that hammer head would still be well over a pound.

gbrown
05-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Yuh did good! I'm always on the look out for pewter. Made a couple of good scores in the past. Thursday I got a 2-2.5 pound lead hammer for $2 at an estate sale. For zinc testing, use HCL acid. Any place that has pool supplies will have a test kit refill--about 2.99. Has a yellow cap bottle and red cap bottle. Yellow is called OTO, I believe. Put a drop of that on zinc and it bubbles like crazy. I bought a picture frame at an estate sale I knew was pewter. Smelted it down into small ingots. Was ready to smelt with lead and decided to check. It bubbled. In the scrap bucket!