PDA

View Full Version : new member + fluxing "discovery"

dexterblack
05-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi:

'Hope this is the right forum...

My brother got me back into shooting after a hiatus of 4 decades. I had previously done some reloading, but no casting. Now, he's got me headed down that "slippery slope"! ('Just joined the site this A.M., but have been lurking a while.)

I've been scrounging w.w., and have been trying wax, saw dust, and other "stuff" while smelting. 'Seems to work, but sometimes I need to torch it off with a stick-lighter to keep the neighbors from calling the fire department. We have a bunch of old Duraflame firelogs sitting around, and it struck me that they are made of both paraffin AND cedar saw dust. Yesterday, I gave it a try with marble-sized pieces:

I expected it might burn more vigorously than candle chips. Not so. The saw- dust seems to retard the wax from spreading (and vaporizing) all at once. I could light the smoke, but it was actually harder to light than straight paraffin -- and the flames were more subdued. The clod charred & disintigrated gradually, and the fluxing effect persisted for a long time. It appeared to reduce the generation of "skin" on the surface. (I don't smelt large batches, nor very hot)

'Tried searching the site for "DuraFlame" and didn't get a hit, so I thought I'd put it out there.

Best Regards,

Dexter

captaint
05-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Welcome Dexter - I'm one of the sawdust guys. I just take a handful and put it on top of the melt and let is smoke away and sit there. After it burns up and leaves the ash coat on top, I will stir it up good and skim (just the junk). If you find you're getting more than ash & junk, try pressing the "lump" against the side of the pot a couple of times with a spoon. Amazing how it shrinks to almost nothing. That's when we mix the good metal back in the melt. Then skim off what's left. Works for me, anyhow.

After all that, I usually grab more sawdust and just leave it on top till I'm done casting. Before I finish up, I'll usually flux again and shut the pot off. enjoy Mike

sqlbullet
05-04-2012, 10:37 AM
When I refine lead I have used sawdust mixed with used motor oil. Over time I used less and less sawdust and now I flux an 80 lb pot with about 1/8 cup motor oil and flame it. I it works great and there is less ash in the pot that tiny bits of lead can hitch-hike to the dross can on.

But, if sawdust is being used, I wholly support the notion of mixing it with an oil or wax.

mdi
05-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Welcome, and thanks for the Duraflame tip...

1bluehorse
05-04-2012, 02:57 PM
I use a little off road diesel mixed with used motor oil (sometimes just the oil) when I'm burning brush around my place (just to get it started good) (I also live waaaay out in the country) somehow the thought of using that stuff to flux my lead doesn't sound to inviting....but...whatever fluxes yer lead...:bigsmyl2:

by the way that dura-flame sounds like a pretty good idea, I use wood pellets myself. I also throw a match at it when it gets to smokin' good..

1Shirt
05-04-2012, 03:02 PM
I just use a wooden dowl or a pain strueing stick (usually free), and probably pine to stur the melt. The char on the dowl or stick is carbon, and it works well for me. Gave up on the other recommendations a long time ago!'
1Shirt!

geargnasher
05-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Straight, resiny pine sawdust or savings works for me, but thanks for the tip.

Gear

williamwaco
05-05-2012, 04:49 PM
I am a convert.

I used paraffin for 50 years and now I use sawdust. I don't like it. It burns my eyes and nose but it does a better job.