PDA

View Full Version : recycling metal

frkelly74
05-04-2012, 06:25 AM
My wife was getting annoyed again at the scrap sitting around and so I took my metal in yesterday to a new yard that has opened up right outside town. I have always gone to Kalamazoo or Holland before. It turned out to be a really good experience for me. I got $1.85 per lb for rimfire and berdan brass which is more than I have ever gotten before and I got $.85 per lb for non steel bullet jackets with the lead melted out. They did dump in some solid copper slugs that I had separated out and mixed them with the jackets which I didn't like, them being pure #1 copper and worth about $3 a lb. But I only had a few and next time I will watch it more carefully. I did not see any lead sitting around and I think they must ship out everything they get as soon as they can. I will get to know them better I think. They take old computers also and pay old sheet iron price for them.

Jim
05-04-2012, 06:38 AM
I'm getting $1.30/lb. for scrap brass and $2.75/lb. for copper jackets.

frkelly74
05-04-2012, 07:14 AM
I guess I am happy if the average price paid for all the useless junk I take in gets me about $150/$200 for my little trailer load. Odd how the prices are all over the place though. How about if I send you my junk that you can get more for and you send me your junk that I can get more for. That's probably going to be a lot of flat rate postage though.

40Super
05-05-2012, 12:26 PM
I think the new guys will pay out a little higher than the established places to get business. They will probably go down in the next year or so and be inline with the locol"standard prices.I have a new guy also that is paying higher and selling cheaper,so I'm cleaning up all my scrap to take in and then stocking all the lead I can.