PDA

View Full Version : Didn't Know They Made them...

Uncle Grinch
05-03-2012, 07:32 PM
How about a Savage 99 in 375 Win?

Never seen one before and wasn't aware Savage ever made them.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=657295

starmac
05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
I knew they made them, but I don't think very many and I bet one in decent shape would bring a premium these days.

ll I got on your link was the registration page???? what forum did you find the 99 mentioned in?

Uncle Grinch
05-05-2012, 09:10 AM
I knew they made them, but I don't think very many and I bet one in decent shape would bring a premium these days.

ll I got on your link was the registration page???? what forum did you find the 99 mentioned in?

Thanks Starmac, your reply made me realized that THR forum doesn't display For Sale items unless you are logged in.

FS in WV: Savage 99 375 Winchester
I have a pretty nice Savage 99 in 375 Winchester with only minor handling/storage marks. This one has a fairly fancy stock. I believe these were only made one year in this caliber. $1,000 shipped to your FFL.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/rwphilli/guns501.jpg

EdS
05-05-2012, 10:06 AM
I'm surely no Savage expert, but you may be looking at a 99 action that was restocked and rebarreled? -Ed

kenyerian
05-05-2012, 10:16 AM
http://ammobelt.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_printable&PAGE_id=4&lay_quiet=1

According to Ammobelt they made a run of them in 79-80. I had one in 308 and wish I had not traded it.

30calflash
05-05-2012, 12:25 PM
I saw one, new IIRC, that had a straight grip stock. It's the only one I've ever seen.

starmac
05-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Judging from gun show and gun broker prices the last few years, that is not a bad price at all.
I check out every 99 at any gunshow I go too, and most of the rarer calibers bring a good price.

gnoahhh
05-06-2012, 09:54 AM
That's not a bad price for it if it were an original .375. In fact they often go for a bit more than that. Unfortunately it has been re-stocked, and not all that well IMO- pistol grip not well thought out, and a far too bulbous schnabel forend tip. Regardless of whether or not it's the apple of the eye of the guy who made it, or what anybody else thinks of it (me included), it is in fact woefully non-original and priced a few hundred dollars more than it should be for that reason alone.

starmac
05-06-2012, 06:18 PM
If I am thinking right, the 375 would not have had the schnabel forend at all, however I like them better than the big fat ones.

I buy them to use and don't care about collectors value, and as that caliber is hard to find, I'm thinking it would be worth it pretty easy.

That is if it is in good mechanical shape.

Four Fingers of Death
05-07-2012, 03:34 AM
Hogs back stock and shabnel tipped forend have a Euro look about them. Forend needs to be trimmed a tad until it looked a bit better balanced (small point really) and both chequered, then it would be an awesome rifle!

As far as collector's value goes, I'm not all that interested either, but if that is what you want, it would be cheaper than trying to build a rifle from scratch.

I'm glad it is not on sale here, I'd be sorely tempted.

gnoahhh
05-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Right, the .375 Brush Guns didn't have a schnabel. My comment was intended to express my aesthetics, in that it's too big for the rest of the forend. Note also the line of the recoil pad heel doesn't flow off of the top of the stock. If it were mine I would take rasp to the wood and convert the hog back/pistol grip/cheek piece into saw dust and end up with a nice clean straight grip butt stock. A little trimming on the schnabel, loss of the Weaver bases, and addition of a good receiver sight- and a world-class woods deer rifle is born. But, like I've said many times before, that's just me, and not intended to be critical or contentious.

Four Fingers of Death
05-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Right, the .375 Brush Guns didn't have a schnabel. My comment was intended to express my aesthetics, in that it's too big for the rest of the forend. Note also the line of the recoil pad heel doesn't flow off of the top of the stock. If it were mine I would take rasp to the wood and convert the hog back/pistol grip/cheek piece into saw dust and end up with a nice clean straight grip butt stock. A little trimming on the schnabel, loss of the Weaver bases, and addition of a good receiver sight- and a world-class woods deer rifle is born. But, like I've said many times before, that's just me, and not intended to be critical or contentious.

I have a BRNO model2 which has a classic stock, but with a schnabel forend. The tip comes to a point rather than being rounded. It is made from the plainest timber I have ever seen on a rifle, but the shape is perfect! To look more balanced that tip could be trimmed down a bit. I'm not keen on Hogsback stocks at all and I would consider converting it into a monte carlo. It's not that I am all that fond of monte carlos, but they look better than a hogsback in my opinion.

One of the best schabnel tips I have ever seen was the Pachmyr rubber forend for the contenders that the silly wet guys were using years ago. Old Gus knew what he was doing, they were poetry in motion. I would like to make up an 8mm Mauser with a stock like that, but with a classic buttstock. I have a Turkish Mauser with non matching wood which might be a candidate for such a conversion, but if they can get one in, I will order a Zustava and get the file out.

Savage 99s have never really pressed my buttons, but I would like that one. I have a few old Weaver scopes, one in 2.5x and one in 3x. Either of those would look perfect on that baby. Like I said, I'm glad it is not here or I would be out of pocket againnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

jlchucker
05-09-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm surely no Savage expert, but you may be looking at a 99 action that was restocked and rebarreled? -Ed

Looks like it to me, too, Ed. I remember when Savage came out with the 99 in 375, but never knew anyone who had one. The one in the picture appears to have been restocked, and very nicely, too. Don't know about rebarreled. I had a 99F once in 308 that someone previously had removed the front sight and ramp on entirely and then stuck a cheap scope on it. I can't tell from the photo if that sight is stock or has been switched, ramp and all, or if it's an entirely new barrel. Sure is purty though.

gnoahhh
05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Judging from gun show and gun broker prices the last few years, that is not a bad price at all.
I check out every 99 at any gunshow I go too, and most of the rarer calibers bring a good price.

True, but only if they are in nice original condition. People see big prices on 99's and think theirs is worth the same because its the same model and caliber when in fact any alteration from original condition, and wear and tear from normal use that theirs might have, will dramatically lower its value. Then, they get insulted when you point out why theirs isn't worth the same $2000 they saw one go for a month ago, or why they haven't been able to sell theirs after 6 months of trying. Anyone who ignores those precepts and buys an overpriced gun should do it because they flat out like it and can afford it. God knows I have, but I did it with the understanding that I wouldn't realistically hope to recoup my expenses anytime in the near future if I went to sell it.

starmac
05-10-2012, 02:27 AM
Understood, but you rarely see a 375 for sale original or not. I'm not sure if they didn't build that many or people just hang on to them.

gnoahhh
05-10-2012, 09:14 AM
They didn't build that many plus they are a darn near perfect Eastern deer woods rifle. Guys that have them don't usually give them up willingly.