PDA

View Full Version : For those so inclined

Bret4207
05-03-2012, 10:42 AM
The older guys here are familiar with my history of taking care of my inlaws. Well, Nana is back living with us and going through Hospice for her care for as long as she can. She's an 82 year old, very frightened and confused lady. For those so inclined, any kind thoughts or prayers for her and my wife would be greatly appreciated. We're slowly getting her meds straightened out, she's been over dosing herself on some and missing others, and transferring her case to our local Hospice. My kids and granddaughter love having Nana around to dote on and entertain and I think once she gets her wits back about her it'll prolong her life a bit and make it more pleasant. So far I have nothing but the very highest praise for kind and very helpful people at Hospice. They seem to be a very worthy organization.

Any way, her name is Trudy and your prayers will surely be a comfort to her.

Thanks to all.

x101airborne
05-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Blessings and prayers to all your family.

Wayne Smith
05-03-2012, 10:52 AM
They are, generally, every where I have lived. They are a local, typically volunteer organization with some (poorly) paid staff. You do tend to get dedicated people that way.

Prayers will be going up for all of you.

birdadly
05-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Prayer sent.

I recently found out a lot of little things can add up quickly to make those 'wits' take a leave of absence in an older person. I wish you and your family the very best. I hope once she gets settled in, finds less stress, and the right does of meds, that she finds peace and happiness in your home. -Brad

Larry Gibson
05-03-2012, 11:08 AM
You and yours, especially Trudy, are in our prayers.

Larry Gibson

429421Cowboy
05-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Bret, i will keep you all in my prayers, you are doing everything you can by trying to keep things as framiliar and normal for her. The Lord gives us strength in all situations, He will lift you and your family through this.

square butte
05-03-2012, 12:22 PM
You and Family have our prayers and best wishes. We are doing same with my 91 year old mom - only at a bit of distance. Fortunately my wife is a Nurse Practitioner with lots of geriatric experience. We are blessed that way. May you and yours be also blessed.

gray wolf
05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Sam and I would like to offer our prayers for Trudy also.

Julie

RugerFan
05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Trudy is lucky to have such a loving family. You folks are in my prayers.

rexherring
05-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Sent your way. I also know what that's like. My mother, 87, just broke a hip, has memory loss, and just diagnosed with liver cancer. She is now in a nursing home recovering from the hip pins but I doubt if she will ever leave and go back to her apartment.

Moonie
05-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Prayers sent.

firefly1957
05-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Bret you and yours are in my prayers.

On hospice I talked to one of them in Massena up the road from you and did not care for her at all, nothing I will put in public but if they start talking about using liquid morphine PM me as that stuff is bad news.

largom
05-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Prayers your way Bret and tell Trudy to hang in there and get well.

Larry

Olevern
05-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Blessings and prayers for your family. It is good to hear she is with loved ones at this time in her life.

hardcase54
05-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Will add Trudy and you to my prayer list, God bless you and yours.

Bullet Caster
05-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Prayers go out for you, Bret, and Trudy. It seems to me that the more prayers the better the outcome. God bless you and your family. BC

Houndog
05-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Prayers offered up for you and Trudy. May GOD comfort you and yours.

Frank46
05-03-2012, 10:41 PM
God bless you all. Frank

Blacksmith
05-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Bret
Prayers for Trudy.
When she is thinking clearer, get a tape recorder and encourage her to talk about the old days while you record , but don't make her self consus just talk and ask her things. In the future those tapes will be appreciated by you and your kids.

Too soon they are gone.

DIRT Farmer
05-03-2012, 11:21 PM
For as the twig is bent so shal the tree grow. We prepare our lives by teaching our children.
It has been said this job is the hardest you will ever do.

It has been six months since my Dad passed, I took care of him for six and one half years and only regret that I may have done more for him.

The prayer chains that were there for us were and are greatly appreciated. We will return the thanksgiving.

gritsngiggles
05-03-2012, 11:36 PM
My in-laws both had hospice. They were exceptional people in regards to the elderly. We all learned to be positive when speaking and not to show signs of depression. Sometimes a small kind gesture before leaving for work would brighten their day, watching a favorite old movie, surprising them with ice cream has always brought a smile. This older generation cherished simpler things, such as spending time and just talking. Good luck think positive and smile for them. Prayers from my end.

Chamfered
05-04-2012, 12:25 AM
God's blessing's and peace to Trudy and your family. Your familys care for Trudy is a beautiful example of the Fourth Commandment. Pax

plmitch
05-04-2012, 12:40 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts going out to your family.

jmsj
05-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Bret,
Prayers sent to you and yours.
Stay strong, jmsj

Dean D.
05-04-2012, 02:39 AM
Thoughts and Prayers headed your way Brett. I salute you for your dedication to your family, a trait that is becoming rarer every day it seems.

Take care and God Bless

Ramar
05-04-2012, 05:39 AM
Bret,
Prayers are a coming!
Ramar

jcwit
05-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Bret, Prayers sent for you and your family, will keep you all in my thoughts and Pray for the best.

jcwit

Stick_man
05-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Bret, my prayers and praises are sent for you. I had the privilege and honor of having my mother in law spend the last 12 years of her life living with our family. The last year and a half of her life, my wife was able to spend full time with her. It is truly an opportunity to get to know them in a much different light (even if it is your own parent) than you have ever known them before, plus a great opportunity for the grandkids.

You are a good man, Bret. Don't ever let anybody tell you otherwise.

waksupi
05-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Hang in there, Bret. I have three good friends in serious conditions at the time also, so you will all be prayed for together.

Bret4207
05-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks to all. It's been a really rough couple days. She fell trying to get to phone to make a call she didn't need to make at all while I was doing chores. That lead her to wanting pain meds for her shoulder. We're still not sure what happened but we're pretty sure between the pain meds and her normal meds she overdosed herself on something. She was barely conscious for 3 days. I gave the hospice a call and the nurse came right up. Took her about a 1/2 hour to figure the meds out. We're sure she was mixing them up. Whatever it was she took it lasted almost 3 days. Wasn't till last evening I got a decent amount of fluids into her and a little food. Thankfully this AM she woke up back to her old self, ate 3 eggs and toast, 2 cups of coffee and several glasses of apple juice. Thank God! I thought she'd be in the hospital for sure if we had another day like the previous 3. it's like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

The, to top it all off, Thursday evening my 10 year old son and I were taking a battery out to a fencer in the field, trying to hurry and get back to helping with Nana. I took a turn and the door on my old truck flew open! Out went Gordy. Talk about scary. He busted his right wrist.
I've been beating myself up over that too.

All in all this has been the most stressful time I've had since the 4 foster kids got dropped off after an emergency removal from their previous home. No sleep, constant worrying. Man! Anyway, it's getting better now. I thank you all for the kind thoughts and prayers and for allowing me to vent a little. You guys are the best! God bless you all.

Blammer
05-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Bret, I know what you are going through. We JUST moved our Nana from OH into our downstairs room with a full bath last Sunday. She too is 83yrs old. It hasn't even been a week for us. It's quite a change, as you know. My thoughts and prayers are for you and yours, for sure!

shdwlkr
05-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Bret
You are what I thought families where supposed to do and it is so good to know you have stepped up and have given Trudy the right to live her life out with family.
Blammer I totally understand how you feel and yes it is a change.

Both of you should know that in my last marriage I took in the wife's mother who was in her 90's when we moved to Idaho. The bad part was she stuck her nose in our business to much and I am sure helped the ex feel she could do better than me. So sometimes it is not a good thing but I still think family should look out for family.

Prayers and thoughts to both of you and yours and best of luck

Bret4207
05-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts must be working guys. She's much better these last couple days. In fact shes decided not to take her sleep meds anymore and see what happens. They made her groggy all day, she was sleeping 20-22 hours a day! Really hard to keep someone up on fluids, food and meds when they're comatose.

Thanks again!

shdwlkr
05-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Bret great news now if she can sleep and stay awake during the day what fun awaits you now? ha ha

catmandu
05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Bret, keep the faith, and thank you for the privilage of bringing your situation before the Lord.
"He will keep in His perfect peace those whose mind are set on Him"

Kudos for doing whats right - even if is isn't easy. So How's your sons wrist?
I hope hes OK.

Paul in WNY

Bret4207
05-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks Paul, his wrist is coming along fine.

Bret4207
05-28-2012, 07:31 AM
The end is near guys. She just deteriorated so fast over 10 days or so its unbelievable. We only had 3-4 good days really after my last post. Why she's still alive I don't know. She's just a shell at this point. Hard to watch but there's simply nothing to be done.

41 mag fan
05-28-2012, 07:47 AM
Bret if the end is near as you say, I hope she goes peacefully.
When it is her time, she'll know she was with family till the end
You've and are doing a very honorable and noble thing by taking care of her. too many these days have forgotten what family is and means.

Bret4207
05-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Well, she passed about 20 minutes after my post. No more pain Nana.

Matt_G
05-28-2012, 11:25 AM
My heartfelt condolences go out to you and your family Bret.
She is in a better place now and as you said, she is pain free.
God bless.

obssd1958
05-28-2012, 11:34 AM
So sorry for your loss Bret, but what a wonderful thing for her, that your family was there for her in her last days.
Prayers for peace and acceptance for you and your family.

Don

swheeler
05-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear that Bret, God bless all.

square butte
05-28-2012, 01:09 PM
So sorry for you and your family's loss. I trust she is in a better place now. We hope and pray you are able to heal quickly. Prayers your way.

MT Gianni
05-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Sorry for your family's loss Bret.

Ramar
05-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Your'e a good man, Bret!
Ramar

Hamish
05-29-2012, 11:21 AM
I believe it to be no coincidence finding this thread mere hours after getting a call from my wife while she was visiting with her parents, that her mother has fallen and broken her hip and will be going into surgery today. We have seen a vibrant, funny, wonderful, God fearing woman gradually dissapearing the last few months with the onset of dementia. To top it off, my wife blames herself as she did not have ahold of her when she fell. This is on top of the consternation these last months caused by her fathers lack of being able to give up the reins of responcibilty and direction of things on the farm, and mounting anger because of it.

Brett, sometimes it is indeed hard to remember about the average citizen thing, and my thoughts are with your family. It is such a bittersweet thing that as our lives become a little more ordered and hopefully more comfortable in our middle years, we begin to lose those who made our youths so bright.

dragonrider
05-29-2012, 12:07 PM
RIP Nana.

shdwlkr
05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Bret
At least you know you did the right thing and cared for her as long as you could. As you said no more pain.
Take care and know you did do the right thing for her when she needed family most.

Bret4207
06-01-2012, 06:00 AM
Thanks guys.