PDA

View Full Version : Large wheel weights

master caster
05-03-2012, 09:54 AM
I have been reading on here trying to figure out if the large wheel weights are a different composition than little ones? I did melt them separately just in case there is a difference. They are fresh so i have not tested them on the cabin tree tester. I sure will miss them big weights man are they nice to melt.

40Super
05-03-2012, 10:23 AM
I had about 15 of them that I picked out when sorting,They add up fast,1 of them was 10oz alone. I have melted then in the same batch and didn't notice anything different than the normal ones.I didn't hardness test them yet though,those ingots I have marked along with several "brands" of the small ones .

Y2K
05-03-2012, 10:24 AM
According to James Stewart in his instruction manual for shotmaking, the LARGE semi-truck wheel weight are approximately the same as soft lead in amount of babbitt in the alloy. Don't know myself, just passing on what I read.

JJC
05-03-2012, 10:56 AM
The truck WW I have are 1 bhn softer than the car ww. I think the big ones are about gone. The last batch I took from the shop were mostly something other than lead alloy.

darkroommike
05-03-2012, 11:24 AM
In my very limited experience, I don't see much hardness difference between big and small wheel weights but, using the diagonal cutter pliers pinch, the older weights seem a little softer to me. (Just an uninformed opinion based on a very small sampling.)

40Super
05-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Thats why I sorted out piles of the same brand or stamp of two buckets of WW, I then melted all the same together and kept the individual brands seperate. Someday I'm going to melt one or two ingots of each one into bullets and test them all to see if there are harder or softer brands. No real purpose. just curious

leadbutt
05-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Im sure that the different makers have different alloys but i doubt size matters. I was going to do what 40 did but never got around to it.

L. Bottoms

master caster
05-03-2012, 08:43 PM
I did about a 2.5 gallon bucket of them. The lead pot looked wild with all them big ol weights in it. I did get a few big stick on ones and I was amazed again with the shear size of them. You could get killed by any of the weights if they came off a rim when one was going by. You guys are crazy sorting my manufacturer. Thanks