PDA

View Full Version : Bad bullets?

brassrat
05-03-2012, 02:13 AM
I have been buying my cast bullets from a popular caster and weighed some out which got me weighing them all :shock: :veryconfu
These are 200gr swc for .45acp. They mostly weighed with around 3gr. deviation, spread thru out the 3 grains. They also varied within 2 gr. both below and above this sample. These extremes were also fairly well represented. How does this sound to you guys? The quality has seemed to decrease with nicks and sloppy lube. I have been led to think this is normal but some bullet prep to an exact weight, got me some very tight and immediate bench rested groups.

runfiverun
05-03-2012, 03:43 AM
for 16 cavity's 2-3 grs is pretty good.
[that's if he is using a machine to cast them]
it's only 1 to 1-1/2% weight variation.
even with a machine temp control can cut down on the dents and such.
but the lube thing is just inattention to detail,and poor Q/C.
it's also an indication that he/they is/are very busy and is putting out product at top speed so quality will suffer from that alone.

ku4hx
05-03-2012, 07:55 AM
All things mechanical have tolerances and variations ... there are no absolutes. The variances your found are within acceptable upper and lower limits.

Dinged and poorly lubricated bullets are an entirely different matter. If they continue to shoot as well as they ever have then they're ok. If accuracy has degenerated and/or leading increased there's reason for concern.

44man
05-03-2012, 08:26 AM
It really means nothing unless you are shooting those tiny rifle boolits.
I have weighed and sorted boolits for my revolvers on occasion to see and nothing at all was better so I quit weighing my boolits long ago.
It really, really is a waste of time. What is amazing is cast can shoot better then bullets even with weight variations.

1Shirt
05-03-2012, 08:43 AM
What 44Man says!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

williamwaco
05-03-2012, 11:39 AM
It really means nothing unless you are shooting those tiny rifle boolits.
I have weighed and sorted boolits for my revolvers on occasion to see and nothing at all was better so I quit weighing my boolits long ago.
It really, really is a waste of time. What is amazing is cast can shoot better then bullets even with weight variations.

DITTO.

.45 ACP as well.
3 grain variation is exactly what I see with bullets of this size.

wv109323
05-03-2012, 07:51 PM
First of all, what is your intend for the bullets? If it is anything less than 50 yard Bullseye competition I would not worry about it.
The three grain variation is not enough to worry about nor would cause any accuracy variations. I don't think you could tell the difference even with Ransom Rest testing.
The only "ding" that makes a difference is one that is on the perimeter of the base of the bullet. A non-flat base(where the mold was not filled out) or a cavity where the sprue was "torn" out also will affect accuracy but you did not mention those.
I would like the bullet lube to be completely around the circumference of the bullet.
From my testing on my Bullseye pistols, the things that are important to accuracy(in order) are :
Bullet Diameter ( matched to bore of the pistol)
Flat, Consistent Base of the Bullet
Powder type and charge matched to the pistol
Proper Consistent Taper Crimp of the Bullet
These will get you from 4-6" to 1 1/2 to 3" ammo at fifty yards if you have a pistol that will capable of that accuracy.

brassrat
05-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks for responses, but the variation is around 7 grams and the lead kinda looks somewhat funny, almost porous. I only shoot on a rest because standing is no fun. The gun is something I have spent A LOT of time on and is a real shooter.

runfiverun
05-03-2012, 08:32 PM
7 grains is not good.
the porous or dotted look can be oxide/dirt inclusions,or too much tin in the alloy.

brassrat
05-03-2012, 11:32 PM
How I do dat? grains of course :-D

MtGun44
05-04-2012, 02:07 AM
Shoot some groups. Mr. Target will tell you if it is important.

You will find that it's not. Sorry to spoil the surprise ending. ;-)

Bill

tenx
05-04-2012, 03:14 AM
I don't own one but have witnessed the testing of newly built bullseye pistols and troubleshooting accuracy issues with a ransom rest. This is where the wheat is seperated from the chaff. What seemed to shoot good before suddenly dosen't shoot for squat. Once you're sure it's not the gun then work on the load/bullet. If it dosen't shoot/group well all you're doing is wasting money, time and lead.

44man
05-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks for responses, but the variation is around 7 grams and the lead kinda looks somewhat funny, almost porous. I only shoot on a rest because standing is no fun. The gun is something I have spent A LOT of time on and is a real shooter.
Now that could be a problem, visual changes are more important. Something is wrong with the casting process or alloy.
A Ransom rest was mentioned but after fooling with one at the club, I found everyone that shoots with me can out shoot the machine even from Creedmore.
You don't put the large bore revolvers in the thing either. It is a crutch with the rubber tip missing on an icy sidewalk! [smilie=s:

brassrat
05-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Well I bought some Sierra, swaged .357 swc's and weighed a few on a cheapo digital scale. Instead of a 7 grain variation on .45 I was getting 1/10 to 2/10 grain variation on 38. :p