PDA

View Full Version : Tractor Restoration

scrapcan
04-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Is that off topic enough?
I need some sources for restoring a Case model 150 hydrostatic drive lawn tractor.

I now there are some of you that delve into this arena also, so lets see what you got for me.

I need decals, some sheet metal, a mower deck ( I have the sicle mover but no deck). manuals would be nice. Etc.

Bret4207
04-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Start at the Lawn and Garden tractor sectionof www.ytmag.com Then Google for a Case garden tractor collectors club. I'll bet there is one. Believe it or not, I'd check with your local Case tractor dealer. A lot of what you want may still be available.

scrapcan
04-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Bret,

Thanks for the link. I have been trying to scour the net for places to stop, just have not found the one stop like we have here.

It is funny about going to the tractor dealership. I had thought that also, but the nearest case IH dealer is about 100 miles away and I have not had a chance to stop in. We are in serious shape as far as implement dealers in our area.

But any I really appreciate the help and will followup.

corvette8n
04-13-2007, 10:30 AM
I second YT mag, thats how I decided to look for a Ford 8n, I put a loader on mine last fall, had to rebuild the front end before I did it though. Its the most fun I can have at two miles per hour.

scrapcan
04-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Corvette8n,

I have spent my whole life climbing on, in, around, and under 8n, 9n, and jubilee model fords. They are a nice little tractor, but around here you can buy a vette easier and just about as cheap. If anyone needs a rearend housing and possibly some internals I think my uncle has one looking for a home.

Bret4207
04-13-2007, 01:20 PM
WARNING!!! WARNING!!! I AM ABOUT TO EXPRESS MY OPINION!!!! DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE THICK SKIN AND COMMON SENSE!!!!!

8/2/9N Ford= Way overated, over priced, barely capable tractor. The Colt Python of the tractor world. The 3 point is their ONLY redeeming quality. Flame away Ford lovers! Yer Pal- Tpr. Bret (Disgruntled 800 Ford owner)

txbirdman
04-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Speaking of opinions. I also have one. The very best tractors have green paint.

Mk42gunner
04-13-2007, 01:54 PM
8/2/9N Ford= Way overated, over priced, barely capable tractor. The Colt Python of the tractor world. The 3 point is their ONLY redeeming quality.

And don't you just love the way a 9N has the brakes on each side? Left brake, clutch on the left, right brake on the right. We had one when I was a kid with a Sherman overdrive- 22 miles an hour in road gear. The neighbor that I worked for growing up had an 8N, the two biggest improvements were the four speed transmission instead of the three speed, and the brakes both on the right side with the clutch by itself on the left.

I'm not so sure the three point is the best system, I have wrestled enough equipment to get it lined up. With the AC snap coupler I can hook up to my plow without getting off the tractor.

My Dad grew up farming with Allis Chalmers WD's an WD-45's, (he and Grandpa both got brand new WD's when he was 11). I have Dad's tractor now; it sat for sixteen years before I got out of the navy. After getting it running, I can't understand how Dad ever bought a 9N. A WD is about ten times the tractor one of the little Fords are.

Robert

Bret4207
04-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Speaking of opinions. I also have one. The very best tractors have green paint.

Boy are you ever right about green pain making the tractor! Oliver and Duetz make some real good ones! Wish I had a 1655 Oillie fer sure! (Tpr. Bret, disgruntled JD owner too)

MT Gianni
04-13-2007, 08:44 PM
In 1976, in the IH dealership in Blackfoot ID, we had one guy that worked on hydrastatic tractors and he hated them. The shop foreman would not let anyone else touch them. Basic operation is 2 piston pumps back to back one as a generator and one as a driver. Not really fuel efficient but smoooth. I changed ocupations in '77 and don't remember much more about them. Gianni

schutzen
04-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Checking with the Case Dealer is a very good idea. During the 1990's, Case/IH switched from paper manuals to Micro Fiche and I think now to CD's. The micro fiches were updated annually or semi-annually. My dealer gave me the old fiche for my '74 Model 580B. Drop a few dollars with them and you can probably get a gratis copy.

Trooper Bret, don't knock my green paint too much! I learned tractors on a JD A. It was a true piece of junk, only lasted 44 years. Grandpa bought it new and I, Grandson, finally wore it out. I'm 11 years into my 5300. Looks like my un-born Grandson will wear it out. My only concession is JD parts are HIGH and going HIGHER. However, the 5300 does what I want, when I want it, and how I want it done. I'm a happy JD owner.

Boz330
04-14-2007, 12:35 PM
Zeator I got one several years ago on the recomondation of a neighbor and have been very happy with it. Has a front end loader and man I never knew what I was missing, deffinately has more than one use.
I was never impressed with the 8N, used to mow with one and it never seemed to have the right gear for what I was doing.
Had a Massey Ferguson 35 gas tractor for a while and that wasn't to bad but hard to get parts around me.
Have a Belarus, ***. There is a reason you can't find dealers anymore. It was cheap to buy, but not to keep. If you are thinking about buying one, DON'T!

Bob

Bret4207
04-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Don't git yer shorts in a knot boys. I love ALL tractors- especially the ones I think I need but don't have. I'm running Ford, JD, Case (lotsa Cases), Cockshutt. I'm going to try to work a 3 way trade with a neighbor for a 190 AC for a JD Round Baler via a 3rd party. I need a 60-75 hp tractor for my round baler (A Hesston 5500, great machine) but I'm darn short on cash since I seem to keep buying guns. I'd love a 4020 Deere or anything like it, but it's all too new for my limited dollars.

Went to an auction yesterday and was kicking myself for not bidding on a big NH manure spreader that went for $125.00. T bar chain was like new, but the bed was going. Still cheap.

Saw a Zetor once at a dealers. Nice looking setup. Supposed to be good on fuel too. They're kinda like Duetz around here. Some guys have good luck, others hate 'em.

Boz330
04-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Saw a Zetor once at a dealers. Nice looking setup. Supposed to be good on fuel too. They're kinda like Duetz around here. Some guys have good luck, others hate 'em.

I sure like mine, It's 60 HP but pulls like it has more. Fuel economy seems good but I don't have anything to compare it to. Bought it used with 1084hrs for $8500 mid 90s vintage. The only problem that I have had is every once in a while the shift will engage 2 gears at a time. Most of the time you can sort it out but if not 4 bolts and realine the shilfter shuttles. It usually happens going from reverse to something in a hurry and going completely into neutral before you head for the next gear. A new shift lever would probably fix it just to lazy to go get one.

Bob

kywoodwrkr
04-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Browse around this link.
DaveP kywoodwrkr
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/