PDA

View Full Version : .54 stuff, where to buy?

troy_mclure
05-01-2012, 04:05 PM
wheres the best place to find a solid aluminum ramrod for a .54, 32" barreled gun?

what about brushes and jags?

PanaDP
05-01-2012, 04:08 PM
.54 is a pretty standard caliber. You should be good with track of the wolf, dixie gun works, the log cabin shop, or probably any other muzzle loading suppliers I haven't listed.

RhodeHunter
05-01-2012, 04:20 PM
I got my 3/8 inch aluminum universal muzzleloading range rod with T-handle from Cabelas for $21.99. It is now selling for $24.99. It is 32" long. Search for item number 21-7164. I always use a brass muzzle guide with my rods. The muzzle guide I got from Track of the Wolf.

troy_mclure
05-01-2012, 06:43 PM
i couldnt find any solid aluminum rods 32" or longer. i dont want a t-handle just a replacement rod. i dont like wood as i have bad luck with them.

PanaDP
05-01-2012, 10:19 PM
i couldnt find any solid aluminum rods 32" or longer. i dont want a t-handle just a replacement rod. i dont like wood as i have bad luck with them.

Oh, I've never seen aluminum rods for sale that aren't "range rods." Have you ever tried a fiberglass ram rod? They're very durable, won't take an odd bend like aluminum, and look better on a traditional looking rifle than aluminum.

mooman76
05-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Home Depot sells solid aluminum rods.

troy_mclure
05-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Oh, I've never seen aluminum rods for sale that aren't "range rods." Have you ever tried a fiberglass ram rod? They're very durable, won't take an odd bend like aluminum, and look better on a traditional looking rifle than aluminum.

ive read fibreglass will destroy your crown.

troy_mclure
05-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Home Depot sells solid aluminum rods.

excellent idea!

waksupi
05-02-2012, 12:59 AM
No fibreglas!

wgr
05-02-2012, 04:23 AM

most anything but wood will be bad for the crown.

Boerrancher
05-02-2012, 07:08 AM
most anything but wood will be bad for the crown.

A soft aluminum rod is not bad, but like Ric said, "NO Fiberglass"

best wishes,

Joe

05-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Google "Dixon's Muzzleloading". Great store.

Sasquatch-1
05-02-2012, 08:27 AM
A soft aluminum rod is not bad, but like Ric said, "NO Fiberglass"

best wishes,

Joe

OK I'll bite. Why no fiberglass? I would think as long as it is softer then the steel it wouldn't be a problem.

This is an honest question, not trying to start an argument.

mooman76
05-02-2012, 09:45 AM
The glass fibers. I have one that came with a gun I still use but I'm careful and it's a cheap gun. I coated it with a polymer. You can feel the fiberglass if you run your hand down it. You can fit it with a rod guide which is a good idea with any ramrod anyway.

waksupi
05-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Take the barrel out of your gun, and in a place that can't be seen, rub the fiberglas rod back and forth a couple dozen times. You will see you could cut a barrel in half with one of those. Not nice to the bore. Ruins the muzzle, and any place the rod flexes and contacts in the bore.

Lonegun1894
05-02-2012, 11:27 AM
I will second the no fiberglass, and also the no aluminum. Know what a lot of the abrasive on sandpaper is? Aluminum Oxide. Which is what you get when aluminum corrodes, like it will anytime it is exposed, and BP residue just helps to speed it up. I know you said you have bad luck with wooden ramrods, but I would recommend that they are as good or better than aluminum, fiberglass, or most other things when used correctly. Just dont grab the end and ram everything down with one stroke, but instead grab the rod about 6" above the muzzle and steadilyseat everything that way using a hand over hand type technique to prevent breaking the ram rod. If you are still absolutely set against wooden rods, would you consider a brass one? I know they are out there, but can't remember who makes them off the top of my head. It's heavier than aluminum, wood, or fiberglass, but wont damage your rifle.

bubba.50
05-02-2012, 12:21 PM
midsouth shooter's supply sells 5/16ths x 27 cleaning/loading jags that fit shotgun rods. they are about the right diameter for a ramrod. get a one piece and cut to length.

DIRT Farmer
05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
If you soak your wood ram rods in K-1 or deisel fuel they will last a lot longer. I generaly have the spares in a PVC tube capped on one end and a screw in fitting on the other end setting in a corner of the shop. I just replaced the rod for my deer rifle last fall the wood in the jag end wore out. The rod was about 25 years old and still flexable. It is now back in the tube in case I need it for a shorter gun.

Rick Hodges
05-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Almost any hardware store will sell 3' and 4', 3/8" aluminum rods. You will have to thread it for jags etc.

05-03-2012, 07:46 PM
As D F posted, nothing wrong with wood. Hunt around the web and find straight grain hickory rods (w/o knots or grain run-out). Get some 3/4 pvc pipe. Put a pvc plug on one end, put wood rod in. Funnel some kerosene or diesel in until full, cork the top or cap the top with a piece of plastic tied on with string, sit upright in a corner for a month or two. Product is a tough, flexible wood rod. I don't like bare aluminum for the same reasons as given for fiberglas. Polished--- solid brass, solid steel or tempered steel tubing are alternatives to a good hickory rod.

Black Powder Bill
05-03-2012, 09:38 PM

A fiberglass rod leaves glass splitners in your hand!!