PDA

View Full Version : S.E.E article and unburned powder in the .458

44man
04-11-2007, 10:26 AM
I was going through my old handloader magazines and came across the article in the June, 1997 issue. It seems to be the best explanation yet.
A 6.5 Swedish blew up but the barrel was ok so they mounted it in a pressure receiver and tests made with piezoelectric pressure system. The same ammo was used for a 10 round test. No. 1 showed 48,820 psi. Pressure increased with each shot and at round 8 it was 82,120 psi. That stopped the test because of danger.
The pressure curve started to rise, then dropped to 3,800 psi for a millisecond, then climbed out of sight. Engineers said it takes at least 5,000 psi to keep a bullet moving so this bullet stopped for a millisecond and became a bore obstruction.
Another interesting thing was the velocity between the low pressure shot and the high one was only 274 fps.
They estimate it was the long lead or throat erosion and the small amount of pressure needed to eject the bullet from the case increased the case volume so the rate of gas production could not keep up, then it finally did with a stopped bullet.
He mentions that sometimes we get lucky and the bullet starts to move to relieve the pressure and that a soft boolit can save the gun.
One of the recent posts here about the powder not burning in a .458 with a cast boolit really alerted me. My take is that the softer boolit moved far enough into the bore that the primer fire scorched the powder but the fire went out. IMHO, the primer pressure blew the boolit and powder too far from the fire. I would not shoot those loads again unless neck tension is increased or the boolit is jammed into the rifling to hold it in place. A hotter primer can help but does not solve what could be a dangerous situation. Some primers have a lot of pressure without the heat needed and can make it worse. Either way, if the boolit is not held in place until the powder can increase gas production smoothly, SD's and ES's and pressures from shot to shot can vary so wildly, accuracy is non-existant.
A loose, greased paper patched boolit with a slow smokeless powder SOUNDS DANGEROUS to me.
This is a common problem in a big bore revolver with a lack of neck tension where the boolit is blown into the forcing cone before the powder burns. THE SAVING GRACE IS THE CYLINDER GAP OR WE COULD BLOW UP REVOLVERS! Accuracy goes out the window. It is the reason I want to see the base of the boolit and grease grooves on the brass of a loaded round, the reason I use only Hornady dies too.
On occasion I find a flatter primer from my revolvers. I figure this round had less tension and the boolit came out too soon, making a tiny case of S.E.E. I found that this round will hit lower on the target because of increased velocity. This makes me appreciate the gas relief of the gap. Doing this in a rifle without the cylinder gap is asking for trouble.
My suggestion for the .458 is to use a faster powder, increase neck tension, use a hot primer with low pressure, engage the rifling if possible. One other thing to watch is to not seat a boolit out so far that there is not enough in the case to be held snug. A soft boolit can still be driven into the bore by the primer alone. There is a balance to be found with neck tension and a boolit into the lands.

Char-Gar
04-11-2007, 10:58 AM
That has always been my favorite theory of SEE. The primer starts the bullet moving and the powder ignites for the "big push" as Phil Sharpe calls it. If the bullet stops before the big push.. well kaboom!

However I then read Hatcher's Notebook, where they tried again and again to try and blow up rifles with barrel obstructions all different points. They managed to bulge and split barrel, but no damage to the receiver. No kaboom!

Then there are the Shutzen folks, who breech seat bullets into the barrel witn no high pressures.

I really don't know, but I will hold onto the above theory until something better comes along.

jtaylor1960
04-11-2007, 12:28 PM
I read another post about his same thing happening recently.I realize all these theories are almost to prove.But, I had one experience with my 35Rem. where I accidentally did not charge a case.At the range I squeezed the trigger and nothing!I cocked and tried a few more times.The primer ahd evidently fired but with no powder to ignite nothing else happened.The primer igniting did not even have enough pressure to break the crimp on the bullet. So I have a hard time believing that the primer alone would cause a bullet to lodge in the barrel. I would think the primer was not hot enough to light the powder completely or that the powder was contaminated.Because once the powder is ignited it would surely have enough pressure to push the bullet down the barrel. I can't think powder would go out after it is lit unless it is bad.

44man
04-11-2007, 12:57 PM
The article said the tests were repeatable. To see the pressure curve start to rise, then drop almost to the base line before going up again made a believer out of me. The correct burn makes a smooth slope without the dip.
Don't the Shutzen folks use black powder? It is a strange thing they do! I still think there is a huge difference in the effect powder choice has on it.
A barrel obstruction will split the barrel near the obstruction when the moving bullet reaches it and stops for that split second. If it is right at the rifling start, it will blow the action. My friend blew up his Ruger .41 when a bullet lodged at the forcing cone because of no powder in the load. He shot one behind it. The cylinder expanded and bent the top strap up. Thank God for a strong gun, the cylinder never split. Ruger replaced the gun at their cost, talk about a great company!
I used to test muzzle loader barrels by loading triple balls with a heavy charge. (Fired remotely.) If I would have spaced the balls out in the bore or left air gaps, I would have ruined the barrels. If an obstruction is actually tightly against the bullet, it will shoot out with no damage. Maybe a flat primer or hard extraction is all. Leave a gap and look out!
My friend and I both had an S.E.E event with our Swedes where the primers vanished and the bolts had to be beat open. (4831.) I now seat bullets to the cannelure, (More case tension.) crimp and use Varget powder. The Swede seems to be the biggest offender. Military bullets were very long and is the reason for the long throat. Most of our bullets now are very short. Short, light bullets with little inertia and a long jump make a big problem.

Larry Gibson
04-11-2007, 04:27 PM
However I then read Hatcher's Notebook, where they tried again and again to try and blow up rifles with barrel obstructions all different points. They managed to bulge and split barrel, but no damage to the receiver. No kaboom!

Sounds like a kaboom to me.......perhaps not an SEE but still a kaboom I can do without. But let us remember there is a big difference in a bullet slaming into a bore obstruction vs the bullet becoming the bore obstruction in the throat and containing all the pressure in the chamber and action area.

Larry Gibson

fourarmed
04-11-2007, 04:46 PM
I have to wonder about that. In Hatcher's Notebook, he recounts numerous tests in .30-06 rifles where barrel obstructions - including lodged bullets - were ejected without damage by firing a normal charge of powder behind them.

Buckshot
04-12-2007, 02:13 AM
[QUOTE=44man;171190]
Don't the Shutzen folks use black powder? It is a strange thing they do!QUOTE]

Some may, just because that's what was used before smokless. However most commonly now you'll find 4227, SR4759, and AA9 to name a few that are used in Schuetzen these days.

.............Buckshot

DonH
04-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Some Schuetzen shooters use black powder but most use medium to slow burning smokeless pistol powders.

44man
04-12-2007, 08:26 AM
I feel that anything that even hints at causing trouble should be avoided even if we have been doing those things for years. None of us can predict anything when it comes to touching off a round.
I have another article on primer pressure to dig out. True that sometimes they won't eject a bullet but is another thing I won't bank on. All primers are different and some have enough pressure to put a bullet down into the rifling. This can depend on case capacity and a bad primer can fizzle too. Never take for granted that it can't happen based on one occurance.
The Weatherby Mark 5 was tested by ramming extra 180 and 220 gr bullets down the bore and shooting the gun. They also tested to as high as 92 gr's of 4350 with 180 gr bullets with no damage. Since these actions are heat treated to 200,000 pounds per square inch, magnafluxed and X-rayed, does this mean you can do something like this with a 1900's era mauser?
I have learned that when something can happen by doing such and such, I no longer do such and such! Better safe then sorry and I want all of you to stay safe.
The same as loading a little over max in a good rifle. I have done it with several to gain the accuracy I wanted without pressure signs by being careful. I feel much safer doing this then reducing a slow powder under minimums.

Larry Gibson
04-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Agree whole heartily with 44man; There are many "sometimes" things that just don't hold to hard and fast rules. In my younger learning days I had two 6.5-06 cases I failed to put powder in. One drove the bullet into the lands and one did not even move the bullet out of the case (interest "pop" when I pulled the bullet). Same brand and type of primers was used in both. I also have had a couple instances over the years with ball powders and standard primers where he bullet was blown into the rifling by the primer (the powder reduces the volume in the case so the force of the primer is greater against the bullet vs a case without powder). In trying to develope squib loads with jacketed bullets (reduced loads I still do but I stay away from squib loads) I have stuck many bullets in the throat (or forcing cone in revolvers) , and in the barrel. I also have had bullets not ejected from the case. I've had the same happen with hard cast bullets. However with soft pure lead cast bullets I've got very reliable "cat's sneeze" and Paco Kelly type squib loads without problem.

Point being there are so many variables that when trouble signs appear back off and stay clear of that load/technique as 44man suggests. In the case of the .458 of this thread go back to neck tension on the bullet. The comparison of shuetzen loads with this one isn't valid because of the faster burning powders they use and the bore expansion ratio difference.

Larry Gibson