PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviation Sticky

Sasquatch-1
05-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Has there ever been any consideration to an abbreviations sticky.

I have been reloading for quite a few decades and still run across some I am not sure of. I am sure that a lot of the newbies out there don't understand a lot of them and may be afraid to ask.

clodhopper
05-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Funny thing about abbrevations.
People write because they want someone to read it.
Then they get tired fingers and use abbrevations, Right when clarity is paramount, suddenly it's on the reader to understand what the writing is about.
Frankly I do not spend much time reading posts written by lazy typests, sure I can come up with words that fit the letters, but there's no telling what word the writer ment to convey.
If anything needs looked up the writer should do that in order to get read.

Trey45
05-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Just a couple weeks ago we had complaints about too many stickies, now we have a request for another sticky. Welcome to the world of a mod, we can never please everyone, and sometimes we can't even please anyone.

montana_charlie
05-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Has there ever been any consideration to an abbreviations sticky.

I still run across some I am not sure of.
When a poster is unclear, I ask him to explain. If his abbreviations have to be explained frequently, perhaps he will start typing out the words ... if he knows how to spell.

CM

Doc_Stihl
05-01-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure how more information could be a bad thing.

I don't feel like typing Lee Liquid Alox everytime, and I doubt every new comer to the site knows what LLA is.
PP = Paper Patch
WDWW = Water Dropped Wheel Weights
SOWW = Stick On Wheel Weights
There's a few that most noobs aren't gonna know and they're gonna see in a bunch of places.

As for people complaining about too many stickies, it's not much of an inconvenience to scroll past it, but some folks might need it still.

stubshaft
05-01-2012, 07:16 PM
The problem Doc is that some people don't even take the time to do a search for what they want.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=104121&highlight=abbreviations

waksupi
05-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Can we sticky a sticky?

KYCaster
05-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Can we sticky a sticky?

Maybe a sticky with a list of stickies that the noobs can look through so they can tell at a glance if the answer to their question is in one of the stickies?

............NAH...............easier to ask! :violin:

Jerry

DILLIGAF

Longwood
05-01-2012, 09:13 PM
What I like is when someone is down right lazy, and types a bunch of incoherent jiberish with all sorts of acronyms and abbreviations.
Then when someone asks what the hell it is he is trying to say, he is too lazy or stubborn to tell, and someone else has to do it for him.
Some people seem to think it shows howbrilliant they are, but many of us look at it entirely differently.

btroj
05-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Can't we just call a sticky an "S"?

Sasquatch-1
05-02-2012, 08:16 AM
I think one of the problems is that you have a sticky catagory and then every other catagory has a bunch of stickies at the beginning of it. Where does a person new to the site look for information he wants? I looked for an abbreviations sticky and could not find it. Now some one post a link to it. :groner:

Trey45
05-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Most folks just use the Search button at the top of the page to search for topics.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/search.php

Doc_Stihl
05-02-2012, 09:02 AM
There should be a helpful test somewhere. Read these ## stickies on casting and reloading technique.
Take this test, if you pass, now you know the basics. If not, reread. Not mandatory, but for those that want to learn casting and shooting lead, they don't know what knowledge they should have to begin with.

I know that plenty of stickies are scrolled past to submit a new question of "Can I shoot GC boolits without a GC", but I bet alot of them are used frequently.