PDA

View Full Version : BOOM- boolits and glass all over kitchen

oldandslow
05-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Greetings all, 5/1/12

I finally mastered (?) my casting setup for .45, 9mm, 38 special and 44 special and have reloaded about 4,000 rounds. I like to pan lube my Accurate Molds boolits so I place them in a glass 8 by 13 inch baking pan for lubing. To aid the flow of the warm lube over the cold boolits and pan I slowly warm the glass pan on a low stove setting till just warm to the touch. Then after the lube starts to set up I put it into the freezer for about 20 minutes which firms up the lube so the boolits pop out easily with an oversized piece of brass (cookie cutter). No mess, no fuss.

So I put in 200 .45 boolits tonight into the baking dish, set the glass pan on the stove and start reading "The Firing LIne" forum. About fifteen minutes later I start to lift up the glass pan and there is a loud sound like a firecracker. Then hot boolits and glass are all over the stovetop, counters and floor. Bummer. Cleaning up was a pain as all the boolits were too hot to hold so gloves were used. If my late wife were still around I would have been in deep trouble.

So I guess I'll need to use a metal baking pan from now on. Too bad, the glass one worked well till I blew it up.

best wishes- oldandslow

40Super
05-01-2012, 07:02 AM
When I read the part about putting it in the freezer for 20min, that is when I figured the "boom" was going to happen. Glass doesn't like fast temperature differences.

upnxwood16
05-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Those silicone baking pans work great for this

oldandslow
05-01-2012, 07:31 AM
40 super-
actually it's never been a problem putting it in the freezer. It blew apart just as I was picking it up off the stove.

No matter how much I sweep the kitchen floor I still miss some of the glass fragments so I am using the time-honored method of walking around the kitchen barefoot and then picking out the missing glass fragments from my feet (crude but effective).

best wishes- oldandslow

Sasquatch-1
05-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Buy an old cookie sheet at a yard sale. Should cost you a whole fifty cents to a dollar...But it won't break. ;)

Plinkster
05-01-2012, 07:42 AM
+1 on the silicone bake ware, the cakes are way easy to pop out after they solidify. I always had problems with the metal ones and sticking.

WildmanJack
05-01-2012, 08:43 AM
I pan lube all my .45-70 boolits and ONLY use Silicone bake ware pans. They are the best, stack the boolits, pour the lube, put the pan in the fridge!! Works every time and cleans up real well too. Put the bake ware on a cookie sheet so you can pick it up with the boolits and lube in it and not spill anything...
Jack

Pepe Ray
05-01-2012, 09:39 AM
What do you guys do/ Buy 2 refrigerators?
I can barely find room for the milk jug.
A cookie pan/sheet would be hopeless. I'd need to empty at least one shelf.
Is that what you do?
Pepe Ray

buyobuyo
05-01-2012, 10:35 AM
If you had looked at the bottom of your glass dish, it most likely said it wasn't for stove top use. If you want to keep using glass, do it in the oven on the lowest setting when you get a new one.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Is that what you do?
Pepe Ray

BEER FRIG :)

just remove one case, no biggie
Jon

WildmanJack
05-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Pepe,
Got a little fridge in my reloading shed.. I keep a few shelves of bottled WATER, and then use the rest for cooling lubed boolits...
Jack

NSP64
05-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Pepe,
Got a little fridge in my reloading shed
Jack

There is a heaven.....

and its in your shed.:drinks:

Pepe Ray
05-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Of course, what was I thinking.
Being an old yankee, all of my main stock of ANY beverages and long term storage
goes to the cellar. 40* +/- year 'round. Periodically restock to frig when needed.
I guess I'm not seriously tempted to alter my size/lube procedures. If it aint broke-DON'T fix it!
Carry on.
Pepe Ray

Hang Fire
05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Such pans are tempered glass, heat high enough and rapid cooling can change the temper.

40Super
05-01-2012, 04:36 PM
BEER FRIG

just remove one case, no biggie
Jon

Your kidding right? Take a case out of the fridge? No BIGGIE?:kidding:

Sasquatch-1
05-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Is that what you do?
Pepe Ray

They spend so much on this hobby they can't afford to put anything BUT bullets in the fridge. [smilie=1:

Dan Cash
05-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Is that what you do?
Pepe Ray

Pepe,
If you really have that insane urge to refrigerate your pan lube, since you live in Maine it should not be a problem; open the door and put it outside. :razz: I pan lube everything and find that the lube pulls away from the pan when it is ready to come out and that temperature is mostly room temp.

geargnasher
05-02-2012, 10:54 AM
That's what you get for reading TFL! :kidding:

Gear

mdi
05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
I haven't personally used Pyrex for pan lubing, but I've read/heard of fellers that do with no problems. I would guess what happened to your "glass" pan was using it on the stove top. I lost a nice 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup that way; heating some lube on a hot plate on medium...

madsenshooter
05-02-2012, 11:50 AM
They like heat all the way around them. Rapidly expanding one portion and not another doesn't work well at all with glass.

mjwcaster
05-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Not bullet casting, but I became more cautious with pyrex when I had a fish fillet explosion.
1 lb frozen fish fillets in a 13 x 9 pyrex dish, melting fish only made enough juice to cover part of the dish, when I pulled it from the oven the water moved to the dry part of the dish and then the pyrex exploded. It didn't just crack, it blew up and sent pieces every where.
You can still see the melted spots on the carpet in the kitchen.
Luckily no one was hurt.
Graphic lesson for my 5 yr old (at the time) on why we want her away from the oven when we open it.
Also had a 4 cup measuring cup explode when it fell from the cabinet, it didn't shatter like glass, it blew into big sharp chunks, I took one in the hand because I was trying to catch it.
It blew on the counter, right at eye level for my daughter. Another lesson for both of us.
So I still use pyrex, but I try to be careful with it, because when it breaks it seems to blow nice big chunks out.
But I just made a great cake with my first successful home made frosting in one. Got rave reviews from the family, need to try homemade cake now too. And it will be baked in pyrex and I will just be careful with it.

Matt

alamogunr
05-06-2012, 08:54 AM
I used to see those silicon baking pans everywhere. Not any more. I went looking after reading recommendations here. Couldn't find a one. I didn't try an internet search.

youngda9
05-06-2012, 09:08 AM
I heat boolits in metal pan from the dollar store to get them warm to accept lube. microwave the 45-45-10 lube to make it flow. Mix the two in a plastic container with a lid, roll it all around gently to cover every nook and cranny. Pour out on a cheap tin pan to cool and solidify.

brassrat
05-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Pyrex gangstas made offers they couldn't refuse. :smile: