PDA

View Full Version : Leather holster is too soft compared to what they use to make them

Swagerman
04-11-2007, 09:37 AM
I've got a Hunter 4500-4 tan leather field hollster that fits my Colt Anaconda nicely. It rides on my Bianchi military style G.I. web belt.

But the leather is way too soft for field use. Is there any type of application that will stiffen the leather up a bit.

Hopefully, such application should not change the leather tan color if at all possible.

Any help appreciated...thanks.

Jim
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/P8100008Holstered697X.jpg

ron brooks
04-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Trying heating up a bunch of bee's wax to a hot stage, don't let it catch on fire,
and let the holster to absorb all it can. Do a google on waxed leather. This is way a lot of the LARP groups make armour. It will get reeally hard and will be water prooof to boot.

Here is one link to it:

http://www.dagorhir.com/HowTo/cbgryml.htm

Pepe Ray
04-11-2007, 11:55 AM
That's what you get when you git the inexpensive brand.
Once the leather is "oiled", it's very hard to remove. Essentially you must dry it out. This is very risky. Why, you ask?
your in danger of ruining what you have.
The chemicals used are dangerous ( kerosene, paint thinner, gasoline etc.)
And once you've removed the oil and applied your proper leather treatment for holsters, you may still be unsatisfied.
If this sounds like I've screwed up a few times , well---.
Because of the risk involved, I'm reluctant to give these instructions even tho they do work, usually. If, after consideration, you still want to proceed, PM me and I;ll send them to you.
Pepe Ray

Swagerman
04-11-2007, 03:29 PM
One guy on another forum said to soak it in water with 10 % alcohol, but that scares the heck out of me, shrinkage may make for a bad revolver fit. But the guy also said wrap the gun in sarran wrap and stick it in the wet holster before it drys.

The hot wax method sounds good if I were to get good end results.

I guess I'm just too chicken hearted to ruin this like new soft holster, maybe I'll just leave it as is.[smilie=b:

Jim

Kraschenbirn
04-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Try Tandy Leather. At one time I tried my hand at making my own cap & ball holsters and recall that they had a couple of finishing compounds that hardened the dyed exterior surfaces and, if applied to the unfinished surfaces stiffened up the leather considerably. Can't come up with the product name, though.

Bill

C1PNR
04-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Cut all the stitching on your Hunter and open the leather. Trace around it on a nice piece of UN oiled leather of the weight you want.

Use a Tandy stitching tool (spiked wheel that makes impressions on the leather), or what ever they call it these days, to mark out the location of your holes.

Punch each hole with an 0 or 00 hole punch, and then sew your new holster with some good, thick waxed thread.

Now soak your new holster in rubbing alcohol until it's thoroughly wet all through, put your pistol in a plastic bag, shove the pistol into the holster, and form the leather around the shape of the pistol. Let it dry, dye it and polish as you like.

I can turn my Bulldog or Woodsman upside down and shake them and they don't move!:drinks: