PDA

View Full Version : Boolit age hardening question

famdoc2892
04-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Is it practical to make up boolits with the idea of long-term storage, or will age harden/soften them to the point of being "out of spec" for the intended use? Likewise, can ammo loaded with cast boolits be stored long term?

HangFireW8
04-30-2012, 03:44 PM
If you are relying on water or oven hardening, age softening will be an issue. Air cooled, not so much, a very small margin of hardness will stand up for the difference.

The lube question is much harder. There is lube migration, oxidation, and drying issues to consider. I don't know what to recommend there.

HF

runfiverun
04-30-2012, 04:54 PM
oxygen and heat are their enemy.
it's also the enemy of powder,and brass.

geargnasher
04-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Age-softening of antimonial alloys that have been heat-treated or water quenched beyond their air-quench hardness is measured in years and only a few Brinell points. If you shoot the boolits within five years it will be of no concern.

Gear

Char-Gar
05-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Age hardening of alloy bullet is a reality, but it does not cause bullets to harden "out of spec for their intended use" as you ask in your post. The issue is interesting, but of little or no consequence in real world shooting.

famdoc2892
05-03-2012, 07:05 PM
I appreciate the replies, as always. If we can safely put boolit hardness concerns to rest, and mauntain cool/dry/low oxygen storage, such as zip-loc or ammo can, can lube survive 5-year storage? Could a "dry" lube like Alox or Moly be used alone to survive temp/oxygen changes, or do you still need a "wet" lube?

If this question needs a new thread, feel free to say so!

Shiloh
05-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Just checked some boolits cast six or severn years ago. 311299 that are two small.
One could dig an thumbnail in easily right after casting. Ten days later, you couldn't. Still can't.
In fact, they seem even harder. This is not a scientific study by any means at all. Just an observation.

I don't know what hardness they were as cast, 10 days later, or now.

Shiloh

miestro_jerry
05-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I keep my Cast Boolits in G.I. cans, no external oxygen or humidity. I keep them in the basement where it is cool and thus no melting of the lube. I have some that have been in storage for 10 years or more. That shoot just as good as the day I stored them.

Jerry

williamwaco
05-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Is it practical to make up boolits with the idea of long-term storage, or will age harden/soften them to the point of being "out of spec" for the intended use? Likewise, can ammo loaded with cast boolits be stored long term?

Most assuredly. Please see:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=152007