PDA

View Full Version : M2HB barrel into a rifle???

Tokarev
04-30-2012, 01:42 PM
How realistic is converting a M2HB barrel into a 50 cal bolt rifle?
Has it been done?
Also, are they chrome lined?

shaune509
04-30-2012, 06:22 PM
The M2HB is what I am using for my 50 bolt action build as was sugested in the plans for the 'Gun Metal Designs, Big 50'. I believe that most M2 barrels are chrome lined. When I turned the profile of the H2 to a cleaner sporter shape it was a slow job as the M2 is very hard steel and required shallow cuts on the lathe. Project still in progress, never have the time or funds.
Shaune509

Mk42gunner
05-01-2012, 06:16 PM
The M2-HB is designed for a cone of fire, whether you can make an accurate rifle out of one of the barrels???? The HB is ~48" long and seriously heavy, the aircraft version is only ~36" long and seemed to weigh about 1/2 to 2/3 as much as the HB, (light is relative, they still hurt when dropped on your foot, just not as many broken bones).

Most of the HB ones that I had while I was in the Navy had a Stellite liner in the chamber end, I can't remember about the aircraft ones; but I think they are Stellite lined also. Just how well the rifling lined up between the liner and the rest of the bore, I wouldn't hazard a guess.

I do know that every armory that I was ever around had wear guages for both types of barrels.

Robert

drhall762
05-03-2012, 09:11 AM
I built one from an M2HB. Stellite is a mother to cut. It can be done with carbide but you have to watch your speeds and feeds.

Realistic is another matter. I had fun in the design and machining and if I ever get around to chmbering it I will see how well it shoots. The only part of the barrel I did not use was the chamber. Turned it into a fixture to determine primer strike .

Tokarev
05-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Why not using the chamber?

Larry Gibson
05-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Myself and two others built one many years ago. We didn't have the bullets they have today as we only used military. The rock chuck gave me an eyeball over a large rock. I showed it rocks are not cover with API!

BTW; without a muzzle brake I could take about 15 shots with it off the hood of the PU. No way shooting it prone even though it weighed 48 lbs.

Larry Gibson

Tokarev
05-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I recognize the contour of M2HB barrel in this rig. But what a peculiar scope you have!

leftiye
05-05-2012, 07:12 AM
With a 48" barrel you have plenty of length. Bypass the Stellite by cutting off the breech end and re-chamber? Chrome isn't the best to cut either, and isn't as good accuracy wise as straight chrome moly (4140).