PDA

View Full Version : Another filler thread

roysha
04-30-2012, 11:13 AM
I have read so many posts about fillers I'm dizzier than usual!

Not much information on cotton that I could find. My question is this: Since I have access to free cotton balls (real cotton, not synthetic) can I use them, or pieces of them, for filler?

My wife has a large quantity of PolyFil batting which I gather from reading several posts, is acceptable. I know, I can just buy a box of Kapok, but why should I if I have something suitable on hand. I really doubt that I will load more than a few hundred rounds in a case needing a filler so to have a big batch of the stuff just setting around doesn't make much sense.

shredder
04-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Can't see why you should not try the available materials.... As long as you are satisfied that you actually require a filler. For loads like 13 gr red dot in 8x57 or 16 gr 2400 in 30-06 I have never used fillers, as per the instructions from C.E. Harris in his famous writings.

Larry Gibson
04-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Use the polyfil (dacron). I quit using cotton many years ago after having to stomp out a couple fires strated by it in dry grass. Haven't ever had that problem with dacron and I use a lot of it.

Larry Gibson

ku4hx
04-30-2012, 04:57 PM
I quit using cotton many years ago after having to stomp out a couple fires strated by it in dry grass.

I used cotton once for about 30 test loads. Each firing brought a snowstorm of what looked like partially burned flakes. As it happened, I was alone at the range and I was glad of it. Those impromptu "blizzard rounds" were something to behold.

geargnasher
04-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Use the polyfill (Dacron), and be sure and read Larry Gibson's filler sticky for how to use it SAFELY.

Gear

BOOM BOOM
05-01-2012, 12:47 AM
HI,
I have used cotton as a filler with no problems.

303Guy
05-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Cotton doesn't always burn on firing but it can and sometimes does! It smoulders quietly for a while then the flames start!