PDA

View Full Version : idiots contest

olafhardt
04-30-2012, 02:39 AM
I was less than 10 feet from my chronagraph when I shot it with a 38.In fact I estimate FIVE feet. I have a witness and he says three. I am wondering if I may claim some sort of record. What say you? The Chrony still works at least it gives me some numbers. I am thinking of sending it to be fixed but I am afraid I will lose my trophy boolit hole.

mrjog
04-30-2012, 02:51 AM
I wouldn't do anything with it if I thought it was working correctly. How in the world did you manage to shoot it though?

RACWIN375
04-30-2012, 03:21 AM
you have my vote hehe just stay off the Darwin list sounds like you came close
the part with the HOLE points AWAY from you (and others and The Chrony ) hehe

I would buy a new Chrony if it won't work and change the case over you have to keep the bullet hole

Chicken Thief
04-30-2012, 03:26 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/ThisThreadIsUselessWithoutPictures.jpg

Southern Son
04-30-2012, 04:28 AM
I nailed mine, twice. In a row. 40gr sierra blitzking at 4000+fps did some pretty spectacular damage on the inside, but at least I got a good group, both rounds almost through exactly the same hole.

stubshaft
04-30-2012, 07:10 AM
Yup, you're the winner!

jabilli
04-30-2012, 07:40 AM
I was wondering if people have ever shot a chronie- I figured somewhere, sometime, someone has.

I havn't shot my chronie, but I have put a bullet through my car. Was using the rear passenger side door as a rest to shoot at something about 25 yards off at the cars about 10-11 o'clock. The thought occurred to me to check and double check to make sure the bullet will clear the roof of the car- What I didn't know at the time is that for the first about 15 yards or so, the bullet is a few inches lower than the point of aim, as the barrel is a few inches lower than the sight. Yeah brilliant I know. It didn't just cause a hole either- The bullet ran fairly parallel to the roof so it tore a couple long gouges, then just barely hitting the windsheild (had to be replaced) and a bunch of splatter damage on the hood. ><

imashooter2
04-30-2012, 07:45 AM
When I have $100 sitting in front of my muzzle, the gun is on good bags and there is a target / aim point carefully positioned such that I don't shoot my $100.

rockrat
04-30-2012, 07:48 AM
LOL

I feel SOOO much better knowing that I am not the only one to shoot a chrony (2 actually, gas check nailed one), or a car(I knew the body shop guys well--they gave me grief for years)
:)

largom
04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
I have a Pact chrony. I placed white tape on the sky-screens about 7 in. above the "eyes". I position the chrony, sand bags and target so that the tape markers line up with my point of impact.

Larry

thehouseproduct
04-30-2012, 08:46 AM
I felt bad at first too. I've shot mine three times now. Still works. I figure if you shoot a gun repeatedly at something, sooner or later you hit it.

"Don't point your gun at something you don't intend to destroy."

Crawdaddy
04-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Sounds like a few of us have done it. I cant beat your record for distance but I got you beat on caliber. 44 magnum, and it still works 10 years later.

greenbud
04-30-2012, 01:50 PM
some one needs to come up with a crono boolit proof vets

nelsonted1
04-30-2012, 02:13 PM
My brother has a body shop. He kept a couple of the 1990s Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chevy gunboats around as car parts since we had several (old) friends who kept testing the tensil strength of the sheet metal in their rides. I shot a crease across a hood. Luckily, i didn't learn an important lesson on my vehicle. Our family has a standing rule- you screw up it'll be fixed just not till the world gets to see and digest your imbicility.

I once jerked off a driveshaft on a LTD. The car tired rolled against my head sliding my face on the gravel. I had tire marks on one side and bad gravel burns on the other but my head didn't deflate. Man, the questions the next day in the dorm!

scarry scarney
04-30-2012, 02:30 PM
I didn't shoot my Chrony, but I tried to chrono some 50AE rounds, and I was too close. The muzzle blast kinda blew everything apart. I was able to put it back together again, with very little noticeable damage.

imashooter2
04-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I felt bad at first too. I've shot mine three times now. Still works. I figure if you shoot a gun repeatedly at something, sooner or later you hit it.

"Don't point your gun at something you don't intend to destroy."

Well there's your problem... You aren't supposed to shoot at your chronograph. You're supposed to shoot over it. [smilie=1:

blikseme300
04-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Well there's your problem... You aren't supposed to shoot at your chronograph. You're supposed to shoot over it. [smilie=1:

What? I am supposed to read the instructions also?[smilie=l:

I have not yet shot up a Chrony but have blown out a screen and wire. Sooner or later....

Bliksem

youngda9
04-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Some of you guys should definetly choose a hobby working with molten lead...LOL (j/k)

Jailer
04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Ok I'll play too. :D

Pictures and description of the carnage.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=150677

454PB
04-30-2012, 10:10 PM
My BIL was shooting at an antelope, lying down with his .270 on one railroad track, and shot the other track with the muzzle maybe a foot away. Other than some shrapnel in his face and on the scope objective end, there wasn't a lot of damage.

303Guy
05-01-2012, 01:04 AM
A buddy once shot my car. Same thing, leaning over the boot and not noticing the muzzle was too low. He never heard the end of it! :mrgreen:

jabilli
05-01-2012, 02:42 AM
@ Largom-
That's pretty cool- It's nice to know muzzle velocity but sometimes without running calculations it would be nice to know how much energy is reaching the target. (I suppose there are calculators that do it, but honestly I don't think I could tell you the drag coefficient of the bullets I shoot.)

@Scarry- Holy moly! That's a giant blast!

@454PB- Wow, your buddy is very lucky that didn't come out worse than it did! Reminds me of that video with the guy catching a ricochet from a .50 BMG to the earmuffs. Yeah, I'd call it a day if that ever happened to me. Here's the link if you havn't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGIJwiGBc
Surprisingly calm reaction from this guy. If it were me I'd be spouting off about 5 minutes of new curse words.

smellie
05-01-2012, 03:48 AM
Haven't shot one YET but I have scared the cr*p outta one.

Poor thing forgave me, so I got it a new battery.

oldandslow
05-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Greetings all, 5/1/12

I've shot two of my chrony's, one by accident and one on purpose (a Pact which would only work before sunup or after sundown, and then only sparsely. After five years of trying to get it to work properly I finally gave it a coup-de-grace with three 9mm bullets through the sensors).

The second was shot accidently while testing shotgun slugs. The slug sailed right under the skyscreens as planned but the wad whacked the face of my ShootingChrony electronics. It cost $50 to repair and is now working well again. It had never occurred to me that I had to worry about the wad's trajectory. Oh well, another lesson learned.

best wishes- oldandslow

pipehand
05-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Several years ago I heard a ruckus at the chicken coop well after dark when they should have been quiet and asleep. Grabbed 870 and flashlight, went outside and saw all the chickens on the ground, and a large green snake on the roost.
Handling light, gun, coop door and trying to grab snake was a real juggling act.
Next day I loaded up some shotloads for my 45 Colt Mountain gun. I figured that it would be easier to holster and free up a hand than to tote a long gun. BTW, I didn't shoot that snake, I just took him for a ride several miles away.
A couple of weeks later I decided to chronograph some loads I had made using my new 45-270 SAA boolits from my group buy mould, using 4 different guns.
First gun up was the Mountain Gun, shooting what was loaded in it. First shot, and the LCD screen goes blank. Go to chrono, and the front is peppered with number 9 shot. Forgot that the first two up were shot loads.

beagle
05-01-2012, 11:45 AM
I've nailed a few with GCs and now use a 1/4" lexan shield. On Chrony worked despite a .25 GC hole in the display.

My buddy did his right. Put a 405 grain cast from his .45/70 through the display of his Chrony. A definited one shot kill./beagle

Y2K
05-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Darn, when I first saw the title, I thought you were refering to the "election". Sorry about your chrony.

rintinglen
05-01-2012, 04:07 PM
I am barred from entry to these kinds of contests as I am a professional. But I feel your pain.

wallenba
05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Hit with the boolit, or possibly an errant gas check? That happens.

Reload3006
05-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Its like a Sailor and San Diego sooner or later you will end up there. Shooting your chorny is part of using a chorny sooner or later your going to shoot it. Yep I am guilty as charged.

Lizard333
05-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Ive never shot my chrony but the second time I had it out my brother took it out with a 1911. Right after shooting it he looked at the 1911 and says there must be something wrong with the sights!!

Norbrat
05-01-2012, 08:04 PM
@ Largom-
That's pretty cool- It's nice to know muzzle velocity but sometimes without running calculations it would be nice to know how much energy is reaching the target. (I suppose there are calculators that do it, but honestly I don't think I could tell you the drag coefficient of the bullets I shoot.)

BC calculator here; http://tmtpages.com/calcbc/calcbc.htm Should get you close enough

Plenty of free ballistics calculators; eg http://www.handloads.com/calc/

BTW, my chrony is one of the last ones with the cardboard screens. These screens have a couple of holes in them, but (touch wood!) no holes in the guts yet!

It has toppled over once by having the rickety tripod a bit close to the muzzle of a .308 :lol:

Lance Boyle
05-02-2012, 06:42 PM
I haven't shot the CED unit yet but I'm usually bagged and rested on a shooting tripod and shooting for groups while chronographing.

I try to remember my old mortarman training....check for mask and overhead cover. When they're HE rounds you really don't want it to hit anything too soon.

I have caught myself coming close with everything set up screens aligned to target, walk back to bagged and rested gun and sight down the barrel (not the scope or irons) and see it's line is awful close to the sensors.

nanuk
05-02-2012, 09:29 PM
after you shoot a chrony, do you skin it, gut it, and cook it up?

rockrat
05-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Got you all beat on caliber, I think. 850gr 50 cal thru one(2200fps), 50 cal gas check thru the other display/circuit board.

Bad thing, had a witness on the 50bmg round thru the one. Nice slow motion topple to the ground.

#3 has survived the longest of any

badge176
05-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Watched a fellow cadet in academy dismount from the Ford Crown Vic, draw his Glock 22, as he moved to use the engine block and wheels as cover, and then proceed to put three creases across the squad car's hood. He did just as trained; don't crowd cover and stay as low as possible. Trouble was that his eyes on the sights were about .25 inches above the center of his bore and each crease showed the maroon paint, a line of grey body primer, and a bare metal stripe with a pretty copper line right down the center (jacket smear)!

Fortunately the Cadre were all laughing WITH us as we found the marks; that grainy squad was next headed to PIT (Pursuit Intervention Technique) training as a "grown-up" bumper car so they didn't care.

shooting on a shoestring
05-02-2012, 10:54 PM
My Oheler has lost three sky screens. I've shot two, nothing remarkable. The funny one was when the very poor shot on the station to my left shot one of my screens. He never did get on paper, but we discussed the possibility of him taking his gun to a smith to get it bore sighted.

My worst idea was jumping out of my Dads' 77 shortbed Dodge for a shot at a running critter (rabbit I think). I fired my 50 caliber JB Mountain Rifle with the muzzle over the empty bed of the pickup. The concusion was amazing. Dirt clods fell out of the fenders and the tail lights blinked.

Ken73
06-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Sign me up for the "I shot my Chrony" club! Last night testing my 300 Blackout with the new Lee cast boolits. Thought I'd go for a quick run and kneeled in front of the Chrony about 8 feet or so away - 3 shots, fine - 4 shots, fine - 5th shot BLAM! Nicked it right at the top, even to sever the wires connecting the other sensor and shatter one of the lenses. ARGH! Oh well, now I'm reading up on shields for the Chrony. LMAO!

But then I didn't feel so bad after my in-laws called freaking out because my father-in-law got a treble hook in his lip! (ouch!)

olafhardt
06-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Ken73, congratulations on this significant achievment and same to your FIL. To this day I can remember looking down and seeing the worms wiggling on the hook my little brother had just hung in my cheek . Welcome to the group. For anyone interested intentionally shooting your crony does not qualify for admission and gitting a fish hook hung in your face is just extra.

FergusonTO35
06-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Yep, I've shot my chrony before. I was trying some reloads in a Kel-Tec P11 I used have. That gun has a really long, springy trigger pull and I was staging the trigger to place the boolits in the sweet spot above the sensors. During one trigger pull the rear of the grip skidded upward while I was pulling, causing the muzzle to go down. the gun fired and put a 124 grainer through both sensors.

popper
06-23-2012, 01:35 PM
When I was doing hobby metal detectors we got one in the shop for repair. Bent handle and 2 45 holes in it. Wife wasn't getting the attention she wanted. Still worked though.