PDA

View Full Version : Four new bullet casters

clodhopper
04-29-2012, 11:16 PM
After the 4-H state airgun tournement back in March, I emptied all the pellet traps of that deadful, horrible, deadly lead. Got about a third of a five gallon bucket.
Today the 4-H club had a muzzleloader shoot at the range, so I brought out my bucket of smashed pellets my small smelter set up, eletrict casting pot and all the round ball moulds I could muster.
While they were shooting 30 standing, lead was a melting.
Four young men, the entire lineup of shooters came to see what was up.
First thing I had planned to tell them was about proper clothing, well checking their attire, none were at fault! everyone of them was wearing leather boots, jeans with out any big holes, cotton hoodies, over longsleve cotton shirts, ball caps, and all of them had eyeprotection!
I was pouring 54 cal balls while describing what was going on, with smelting on one side of the table and casting on the other.
Convinced one guy to cast when the smelt pot needed attention. Each of them got a turn at casting.
They all got a nice pile of balls for their rifles, they had been shooting good (expensive) hornady swaged balls.
They were advised to load the balls spru up, shoot the poorer looking balls at ground squirrels and to weigh every ball to be used in a match.
Told them about sources for moulds, and ladles, picking up some tools at garage sales, and the joy of making stuff.
I told them I woud stay as long as they wanted to cast. After about two hours they had stuff to do and I was glad to take care of all the excess ingots.

JeffinNZ
04-29-2012, 11:34 PM
An another four fall victim. LOL.

firefly1957
04-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Good four you !

Dennis Eugene
04-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Clodhopper,Best story I've read here in quite some time. Dennis

GRUMPA
04-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Well I must admit, that was rather cleaver of you to do that. Nothing better in my mind than to teach others the joy of rolling your own and recycling all in the same sitting.:holysheep

greenbud
04-30-2012, 02:01 PM
That was a really cool story. There is an abandened boy scout Air riffle range around my area. I wounder how much copper and lead I could find??

MT Gianni
04-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Good for you. I saw the news piece of you teaching the Newscaster to shoot a gun for the first time @ an Appleseed. Life has been keeping you busy.

clodhopper
05-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Good for you. I saw the news piece of you teaching the Newscaster to shoot a gun for the first time @ an Appleseed. Life has been keeping you busy.

Really I'm laying around being a slug.
Unemployed (but not out of ammo) for eight weeks now.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Cloddhopper , we had our 4H muzzle loading day Sunday got rained out saturday , good time we had 3 shooters 1gal 2 gents
those using 50's were shooting balls cast from the lead i traded you for , those lower quality balls cast from that awful dreadful horrible deadly stuff , leftover form air rifles
were leaving 3 shot clover leafs for me at 50 yards, i didn't compare the expensive hornady.

they were bucking an awful wind it was right in your face standing at the line , and swirling farther out , it was blowing rams and turkeys over at times

you know the wind is bad when it blows the patch back almost to your feet

but a good time was had

we were excited to be using our new silhouette targets for the first time ,the ring of dropping a ram at 100m with a smoke pole sure is a pretty sound