PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy Garage Floor - Casting?

22lover
04-29-2012, 02:16 PM
This is not exclusively related to casting, but I'm in the process of cleaning out the garage and prepping it (exhaustively) for an epoxy floor. I'm going to do it myself.

I realize that no coating is impervious to everything, but I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with what kind of product to use, or NOT use, if casting is done above it on a bench - the occasional splatter, lubes, accidentally dropping things as happens in a "shop" environment, etc.

I will also be continuing my journey to learn MIG welding, and would like something that the sparks won't burn through on contact. Basically this garage, in addition to housing cars, will be used to do everything I like to do (when the cars are backed out). I know wear and tear happen, but want to get the most bang for my buck in terms of materials so I can get at least a few years of use with it remaining nice.

Any experiences/recommendations are appreciated. This is a DIY project!

runfiverun
04-29-2012, 02:31 PM
street signs work the best for all the above.

fecmech
04-29-2012, 04:04 PM
We did the shop floor in the Fedex vehicle shop a number of years back, 3 bays and lifts with the Sherman Williams epoxy. It held up really well, way better than I expected it to. That's with light trucks, road salt, tranny jacks, cutting torches etc, a serious vehicle shop. Do not scrimp on the prep work and pay the money for good epoxy. Your lead splatters won't hurt it a bit.

geargnasher
04-29-2012, 04:11 PM
+1 on don't scrimp on the prep work, prep is EVERYTHING to achieving a durable coating with any of the floor epoxies.

Hot steel from a cutting torch or welding spatter will scorch epoxy, but lead spatter or hot sprues won't hurt it.

Gear