PDA

View Full Version : Sending handgun brass to Germany

MW3840
04-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Anyone know if I can legally send some virgin brass to our past foreign exchange student in Germany? It isn't primed.

GRUMPA
04-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Read this first:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=145261

JeffinNZ
04-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Declare it as 'brass extrusions'.

Shiloh
04-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Lot of red tape to do this legally. Certain countries are more restrictive than others,
just like loaded ordnance. What happened to the brass?? Did it make it to the end user or get intercepted, hence the visit??

Shiloh

Mooseman
04-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Anyone know if I can legally send some virgin brass to our past foreign exchange student in Germany? It isn't primed.

Not without an export license and red tape...

williamwaco
04-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Please don't.

We are going to need your vote in November.

trevj
04-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Declare it as 'brass extrusions'.

Yep. Good plan. The smilie list needs one that fits the category of"too stupid for words".

Nothing says smart like telling a guy to break laws in his own country.

But what would you care if he goes to jail, eh?

To the OP,
FWIW, it needs an export permit, to legally be sent out of the US.
Of the top of my head, the sender needs to apply for the permit, gotta be a US citizen, and the maker of the brass has to be registered for Export purposes. Not sure if there is a cost associated or not.

Lots of guys send stuff out over the borders that they shouldn't, and lots don't get caught. Getting caught could put you in line for a world of hurt. Your call.

Better to know the rules and grumble, than to do as you please, and suffer. The fines are...substantial. Jail is an option.

Best at this point, would be to suggest that the customer find a source in country.

Cheers
Trev

plainsman456
04-30-2012, 07:43 PM
I have sent some with them listed as empty brass tubes/cylinders.
Just be sure to fill out the declaration form out all the way.

JeffinNZ
04-30-2012, 11:20 PM
I have sent some with them listed as empty brass tubes/cylinders.
Just be sure to fill out the declaration form out all the way.

Well, clearly, plainsman456, we are both equally ''too stupid for words''.

Technically you can not ship gas checks out of the USA without an export licence as they are involved in the manufacture of ammunition. The same goes for felt and card wads should you load BP shotshells. BPI's original buffer (filler) will be another. 9lb onion skin paper will be banned also as it is used for patching boolits. What about boolit lube?

imashooter2
05-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Exporting without a license is a felony. A felony conviction means you can't own guns.

It's not the odds, it's the stakes...

Norbrat
05-01-2012, 08:20 PM
I've had brass sent out from the US without problems.

OK, I understand that it is strictly speaking not exactly legal without an export permit, but it would seem that the small amounts we are talking about here aren't exactly going to get the BATF (or whoever looks after this stuff) interested. Now if'n it were a few million .223 or .308 etc heading for the middle east, that might be a different story.

Sometimes I think we overthink this stuff WAY to much and end up with WAY too much paranoia.

Anyway, MW3840, if you want to send some brass to Germany, send me a PM and I will be happy to send some from here. Our gov't couldn't give a rats about sending dangerous arnaments OUT of the country, so would be a piece of cake and all legal.