PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my Underhammers finished

jh45gun
07-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Finally finished these after trying to figure out a fireing system that would work with a full stock. So I came up with this design after trying mock ups of other systems and finding out that every thing would be too long and wind up into the wrist which I did not want because I figured it would weaken the stock. Rifle is a 54 cal with a one in 28 twist Green Mountain Barrel. SHot gun is a 12 guage with removable chokes and takes Remington chokes. Both Barrels were for a Knight Model 86 switchbarrel sytem that Knight discontinued. I got the barrels for 30 bucks a pop figuring I could get a reciever from Knight but they did not have any more and did not plan to make any either so I decided the easiest way to make it go bang would be a underhammer system. Well that was not as easy as I thought either after finding out most underhammers have their own recievers and are not made into full stocks. Well I figured out how to do it anyway. They may not be conventional looking but they do work and the trigger pull on both are not bad. Total cost into each gun is right around 50 bucks. Buttplates were made from sheet brass that some one gave me. Trigger guards were scrap sheet brass that I paid a buck for. the peep sight on the rifle cost me a buck at a rummage sale. Front sight is fiberoptic. Hole in the side of the gun with the brass plate is to access the nipple.

It has taken a while to figure things out and get every thing together and yea they are one of a kind but hey they work so that to me is what counts. They may not be the most prettiest in the world, but I am happy with them as I took some barrels that could not be used unless you had the Knight rifle they were made for and made something usefull out of them. I also have two usable guns for little cash outlay. Jim

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/ae9e300a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/CNXT0008.jpg

Buckshot
07-04-2005, 05:53 AM
..............Jim, looks like you did a fine job on'em. With that 28" twist you oughta be able to shoot some big ole boolits! Somewhile back on the Long Range Muzzle Loader e-list there was lots of talk about creating a match rifle with an underhammer. The direct ignition was what they were after.

So when ya gonna turn in a range report?

.............Buckshot

waksupi
07-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Those are interesting! I think you just created two collectors items!

Pop_No_Kick
07-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Those are interesting! I think you just created two collectors items!
WOW! nice....
This is why I Like this Forum...People that follow there dreams..
Chuck

jh45gun
07-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks guys. Kinda broke until payday which is a week from Wed. I will go out then and try the rifle not sure when I will the shotgun. The local range only allows slugs at the range no bird shot so I will have to shoot the shotgun elsewhere. The local paper has large cardboard circles that are from the paper rolls they get. The cardboard protects the ends of the rolls. Makes darn good shotgun targets. :) I have other muzzle loaders a 50 cal NEF and a 54 cal ball shooter that I made up left handed for myself that also uses a Green Mountain Barrel One in 70 Twist. So I have all the powder and accessories. ect on hand. I bought a 54 cal REAL bullet mould to try them in my ball shooter so I am able to cast for this fast twist rifle. Here is a pic of my ball shooter the first rifle I made. Jim
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/jh45gun/BallShooter2.jpg

drinks
07-21-2005, 05:17 PM
JH;
These pictures may give you some ideas if the underhammer disease strikes again.
This is a reproduction of a Hopkins & Allen from about 1845, built by Numrich during the '60 and '70, this is a .36, 21" barrel, all the lockworks are in the back end of the barrel, except for the trigger guard, which is the main spring, and a small coil spring for trigger return, the only parts are the hammer and trigger.
Another company is making a similar rifle now, but the action is in a long breech plug that screws into the barrel rather than being all one piece.
Don

jh45gun
07-24-2005, 08:36 PM
Interesting pics thanks I priced out the springs and hammers ect from Blue grouse to use such a system and they were more money than I wanted to spend. A lot more. So that is why I came up with my system. yea I could have tried to make those parts but they were beyond my capabilities with out having a shop ect to work in and the proper tools