PDA

View Full Version : rossi 357

milltownhunter
04-28-2012, 06:16 PM
how the quality of the rossi r92 24'' 357 mag comparted to the winchesters or brownings or would i be better of waiting for a winchester in 94 or 92 i want one in a pistol cal

runfiverun
04-28-2012, 07:03 PM
rossi is now owned by taurus...
you the customer is the final inspector of the product.
i put three back on the shelf before i bought my 357.
i have never seen an older used one on the racks.

Dogg
04-28-2012, 07:50 PM
I like mine

PhatForrest
04-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Wish the distributors would get them back in stock, been looking for a new or used one for 3 months now, nobody has them.

crappie-hunter
04-28-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm satisfied with mine,however because of the slow twist lighter bullets in thw 125gr range seem to be the most accurate.

Jeff H
04-29-2012, 12:37 AM
......you the customer is the final inspector of the product.........

I bought mine sight unseen online.

It was a bargain. I got a rifle AND an education!

For $420, I got the kit (tools and instructions not included, just all the unfinished parts pre-assembled so you know where they go) and a complete education on how the 92 works (or doesn't) and how to fix it. It's been a 52 week (self-paced) course and I am still working on the finals but am almost ready to graduate from "Braz-Tech," the do it yourself gunsmithing school.;-)

It would take some very, very serious temptation to trade me out of it and I can't think of anything I would prefer in its place and it gave me many hours of very gratifying entertainment fussing with it.

I believe mine to be an exception, as anyone else's either simply worked or just needed a few tweaks.

CLAYPOOL
04-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Yah look at all the fun you have had instead of watching MINDLESS DRIVEL on T.V.

Four Fingers of Death
04-29-2012, 08:06 AM
The rifle in my avitar is a Rossi 357 and it is really the best knockabout rifle I have ever owned and virtually the cheapest. Cost me $230 second hand and I have put tousands of cast (polymer coated in the main) through it without a hiccup.
The lugs on lockup when I first got it were a bit rough, but ok now. Everyone turns their nose up at the sights, they are a sheet metal sight, just bent at 90degrees and a square cut slot and post foresight. They are really quick to acquire and haven't moved over five years of rough use. The sight picture is similar to a SMLE, but with a square bottom in the rear groove. I cut my teeth on a SMLE in teh Army Cadets, so it suits me fine. I think the later ones have a silly make you squint real hard buckhorn. I know my 2yr old 44 Rossi has the most useless sights I have ever seen. The groove at the base of the buckhorn is tiny and really slow to acquire. The crappy foresight is bronze or bronze plated, freaking invisible!

I fancy a Winchester, but am really loathe to fork out that much money when my el cheapo Rossi does it all.

Lonegun1894
04-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Mine is great. IN fact, when I bought it and my girlfriend tried it, I had to go buy a second to give her, also in .357, to avoid her stealing mine.

Four Fingers of Death
04-29-2012, 10:17 PM
When I followed the link to the shiny one and it has the same rear sight, but the shiny rifle has a fancier elevator slide.

I'm not overly keen on the plated reciever, I think the stainless reciever looks better, but everybody is different I suppose. It would look better with nicer wood and I'm surprised that they don't try a bit harder in that area. The special ones would warrant a few extra dollars to cover the cost I'm sure. The colour case hardened ones look pretty good.

TXGunNut
04-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Yah look at all the fun you have had instead of watching MINDLESS DRIVEL on T.V.

TV? Who can afford TV with the prices of components and loading tools these days? :bigsmyl2:

helice
05-02-2012, 03:00 PM
MilltownMontana,
I have a Stainless LSI Puma in 45 Long Colt, a converted 32-20 Winchester M-92 (in 357), and 2 Brownings (Japanese 92s). The Brownings and the Winchester are a lot smoother right out of the box. The Pumas are equiped with heavy duty springs that make the action a bit tight. But mine works every time and I find that I like the 45 Colt ctg. a great deal. LSI's rendition of the M-92 had the bolt mounted safety which I thought was silly, but I really didn't mind it. I wanted to put a 'peep' sight on it (bad eyes). These rifles are not drilled & tapped for a Lyman or a Williams side mount so I bought a sight from Steve's Gunz. It is a wonderful sight that replaces that bolt mounted safety. It has made the firearm a better shooter. I would think, for moving about in Montana, the Puma would be a good idea. Even if your just killing beer cans the gun is a hoot to shoot (especially in 357). When the time comes to thin out my firearms the Puma will be one of the last to go. I like it. I think you might too.

Greg B.
05-02-2012, 03:30 PM
I have had one for about three years now and while it is not the most accurate lever gun I own it has been very reliable and I have already made up the firelapping cartridges and will get a mold for lighter boolits and see if that improves things. Had to put on a taller front sight to get it on paper and from what I read on the internet, warranty service is not great. Trigger is somewhat heavy and the fitting for crescent butt plate is not perfect . Despite these few shortcommings I enjoy the gun. Somebody said, in .357, it is like a .22 on steroids.

Check out Stevesgunz he is the model 92 guru and you could probably get exactly what you want from him.

Greg B.

fecmech
05-02-2012, 05:39 PM
It's been a 52 week (self-paced) course and I am still working on the finals but am almost ready to graduate from "Braz-Tech," the do it yourself gunsmithing school.
So Jeff, have you finally got it to feed for you now? :kidding: Have you nailed any of your coyotes with it yet??

Iron Mike Golf
05-03-2012, 01:10 PM
I've had mine for just 2 weeks now (20 inch blued carbine). Been to the range twice. Shoots real fine. Tore it down once and polished here and there. Replaced the hammer spring. Goodies on the way from Steve. Feeds 358477s in 357 brass perfect. I do need to cast up some 358429s and play with those. And I need to get outdoors with it so I can shoot more than 20 yds.

I'm real happy with mine.

JIMinPHX
05-03-2012, 09:05 PM
I messed with one Rossi several years ago. I was not happy with it at all. The steel was soft, the parts in the gun were undersized for the job that they had to do & overall quality was not to my liking. The bore was nice though.

I've been told that their quality has improved over the years & I know that the warranty certainly has gotten a LOT better. If the gun was imported by Brastech, then the warranty is pretty far reaching. The older guns that were imported by Interarms, like mine, were not backed up well at all.

Four Fingers of Death
05-03-2012, 09:52 PM
I messed with one Rossi several years ago. I was not happy with it at all. The steel was soft, the parts in the gun were undersized for the job that they had to do & overall quality was not to my liking. The bore was nice though.

I've been told that their quality has improved over the years & I know that the warranty certainly has gotten a LOT better. If the gun was imported by Brastech, then the warranty is pretty far reaching. The older guns that were imported by Interarms, like mine, were not backed up well at all.

The older guns were probably aimed at South American ranchers and cowpokes that would have only shot the odd crippled steer or wolf that was lurking about. Regular use by a keen hunter or plinker or cowboy shooter would be a whole different kettle fish.

Good Cheer
05-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Was going through a card file looking for data on a moldie oldie and found the .357 Rossi cards instead. Found the Uvalde jack rabbit 80 yard heart shot load.
What worked in the one I had back then was the RCBS 162 grain SWCGC and 4.7 grains of Unique in .38 Special cases.