PDA

View Full Version : Bore "Conditioning"

ShooterAZ
04-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Seasoning or whatever you want to call it. I did a search on the forum before posting this, I just wanted to share my findings. I have a Contender in .44Mag that I was getting some leading in. Despite slugging the bore and sizing at least .001 over, this was still an ongoing issue.

Here is what I found. I had been shooting jacketed in between sessions with boolits. I always cleaned the barrel after the j-words, but still continued to get some leading with pb. OK, so I stopped shooting the j-words for a while, and after shooting only my boolits, I just ran a couple of patches of Hoppes #9 and left it in the bore. I would just run a couple of dry patches through right before going shooting again. After a couple of shooting sessions of doing this...no more leading period.

I tried the same thing in my 1903 Springfield and a 91/30 and got the same results. Although I never had much if any leading in this these, the bore sure cleans up a lot easier than before. I think shooting the jacketed bullets were somehow having a negative effect on leading. I also think leaving the Hoppes in there to soak is helping condition the bore. Cleaning is far easier and I don't even need to use a bore brush now.

I just wanted to share my findings...agree or not. This method is working for me. I don't believe leaving the Hoppes in there is doing any harm...I shoot often enough that it doesn't stay in for more than a week or so anyway.

Shooter

ku4hx
04-26-2012, 04:11 PM
I've had similar events. I used Sweet's 7.62 to get rid of all the jacket fouling and leading was greatly reduced if not completely eliminated.

geargnasher
04-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Same results here. This topic is in current discussion in a couple of places, and the consensus generally is the same, at least with boolits and carbon steel barrels. I mentioned that I use Ed's Red as part of my short-term storage routine because it cleans the stuff that promotes rust (powder fouling and residue) out without destroying too much of the "seasoning", whatever the seasoning is. It only takes one or two shots to get it shooting back to the consistent POA if you don't clean too well.

I quit shooting J-words a few years ago because they screwed with my Boolit accuracy too much when I went back and forth in guns that shot well enough to tell the difference.

Stainless-steel or chromed barrels seem to be less affected by the seasoning effect, but will still throw first-shot flyers after being cleaned.

Gear

white eagle
04-26-2012, 06:48 PM
The slightest trace of copper in yer barrel will hold lead
since you stopped shooting copper you lost your leading
just a side note: [smilie=s:
I have never bought a single copper bullet for any handgun I own
all my leading was from improper sizing
glad to see your leading problem is underhand :-):lovebooli

44man
04-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Back then, in Ohio, I had to clean my IHMSA single shots after a shoot--rust ya know. It was hard to take a shot without driving miles so I would wind up at the shoot with a clean gun and could never just shoot it once.
I shot "J" bullets and have no idea where the first shots ever went, they might find a pile on the moon for all I know. But from then on, every other shot hit.
My revolvers with cast almost never get cleaned now but if do for some reason, the first shot will be out of the group but not on the moon. I had more trouble with bullets yet it only took one shot.
You do condition a bore so it is the same shot to shot but you do not "season" it. I think you just develop an even friction. Nothing should build up in the bore. If I need to shoot 50 rounds to make a gun shoot, it will be sold off or I will fix the loads.
Jacket material WILL build up until accuracy fails, just like a leading gun can. Leading can be helped or cured but copper buildup can't.
I have cleaned old guns for guys that took a week of Sweet's to bring them back. When done, they would ask if I put a new barrel on the gun!
I still tell everyone to shoot the clean gun at least once before hunting.
Even a clean revolver with cast needs only one shot. Shoot the thing once into the ground before going to your hunting spot, no need to shot all five or six chambers.
I bet more deer are missed or crippled with clean guns then anything.

MGySgt
04-27-2012, 10:59 AM
The only cleaning my cast boolit guns get in the bore is a dry patch a few times after extensive shootin.

The cylinder does get cleaned in the traditional manner, except I use WD 40 as the solvent, I also use a bore brush with a low speed hand drill to ensure I crean the chambers. (the Autoloaders only get the dry patch in the chamber).

I only clean the barrels when they get leaded and then with Chore Boy wrapped bore brush - no solvent!

Works for me.

Bob Krack
04-28-2012, 07:10 PM
As soon as I start shooting again, I will do as I did with my .22 long rifle rifle. Shoot 50 rounds or so, then start aiming at a target. No cleaning of the barrel from then on (unless I see problems). Always worked on the .22......

Bob