PDA

View Full Version : WW cast weight variation

rroberts
04-09-2007, 08:37 PM
I am a newbie caster, and have a question. I am using a straight ww alloy. I am using an RCBS 45-270-SAA mould. Now as I understand it, that mould should cast a bullet whose weight is in the area of 270 grains. Mine are weighing in at 284-286 grains. Am I screwing the pooch or is this normal?

TedH
04-09-2007, 08:50 PM
It's not uncommon. In fact, I don't think I have ever cast a bullet that weighs what the mold makers state.

rroberts
04-09-2007, 09:04 PM
I just got a bit concerned when the weight was 15 or so grains over the stated weight.

**oneshot**
04-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Unless your using that specific alloy, molded under those specific conditions(ie: air temp, mold temp, alloy temp, etc) there will be variations.

Cherokee
04-10-2007, 03:58 PM
My RCBS 45-250 cast out at 268 gr with WW's, the harder the alloy the lighter it will be because of the tin and antimony.

HORNET
04-10-2007, 06:40 PM
rroberts,
IIRC, RCBS specs out thier pissola molds from 1:10 tin/lead. WW usually have a much lower percentage of tin so will usually run a little heavier, in your case about 5%. This will vary some depending on the exact composition of your wheel weights, casting technique, and phase of the moon (or something). Nothing to worry about unless the weight difference from an earlier batch is bothersome. Then you get into big batch blending techniques.[smilie=1:

NVcurmudgeon
04-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Hornet, guessing from your location, is your avatar a woodchuck? Looks a lot like California ground squirrels found in a lot of California and Nevada. They are also found around and under my house. When found in the open, these sage rats often find out just how accurate a CZ .22 LR is.

Sundogg1911
04-10-2007, 10:09 PM
each mold manufacturer uses a different alloy for their molds. My boolits have never been the same as what the mold company says. This is normal.

HORNET
04-11-2007, 10:19 AM
NVcurmudgeon,
Yep, woodchuck it is. I saw a couple out running about a couple weeks ago but I think they're hiding out until it stops snowing again. I usually try to wait until later in the spring before shooting any so the young ones can survive on their own, but sometimes have to stop then from digging in problem areas.
As a side note, my Grandma says they're delicious if you get them before they get old and tough. She raised 7 kids through the Depression so she'd know.

Scrounger
04-11-2007, 01:23 PM
NVcurmudgeon,
Yep, woodchuck it is. I saw a couple out running about a couple weeks ago but I think they're hiding out until it stops snowing again. I usually try to wait until later in the spring before shooting any so the young ones can survive on their own, but sometimes have to stop then from digging in problem areas.
As a side note, my Grandma says they're delicious if you get them before they get old and tough. She raised 7 kids through the Depression so she'd know.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

jhalcott
04-11-2007, 02:30 PM
scrounger
, A woodchuck would chuck about as much as a wood chuck could chuck IF a wood chuck could chuck wood!
got it?

Dan308
04-11-2007, 03:00 PM
The April issue of Handloader mag has an article on this very mold. The author mentioned that his bullets came out at about 284grains also.

pdawg_shooter
04-11-2007, 03:33 PM
So what's wrong with 284grs anyway? Im a firm believer that bigger is better !

rroberts
04-12-2007, 11:42 PM
I tried them in my Ruger Blackhawk over 8 grains of 231, and they were fine. Didn't have my chrono with me, but no flattened primers or sticky cases. Thanks for the help guys.

Rusty